How to support the frame during leaf spring change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fltplan

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10, LWB
Engine Size
I'm changing out leaf springs, ie, installing a lift on my 79' K10. The truck has approx 2.5" of lift right now. In order to support the frame I have used a stack of 2x10x12's about 8 high, then a jack stand on top of this at a pretty low setting. This is on a concrete floor and still isn't all that stable. Doing one wheel at a time so it's just one corner supported. It doesn't take much to get it to sway. Aligning the leaf with the axle requires a little muscling around and I'm not comfortable with the way it's sitting right now.

What have you guys done to support the frame? It's approx. 30" off the floor .

4x10's stacked? Thoughts? Thanks

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Doing one wheel at a time so it's just one corner supported.

I think that's the problem. You should have the rear end up and level - with jackstands under each frame rail. Use your floor jack under the differential to release the strain on the spring stacks.

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
I made a couple boxes out of 2x6's more than wide enough for a jack stand to sit on top of. Pretty sturdy using a pair of those. Wasn't tall enough to be able to remove the wheels when the frame was supported.

Had to lift the axle with two jacks first, pull the wheels, then place boxes with jack stands underneath frame, lower axle to let it almost hang. Placed a block under the yoke so it won't rotate, then pulled the ubolts and all.

fltplan

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10, LWB
Engine Size
Doing one wheel at a time so it's just one corner supported.

I think that's the problem. You should have the rear end up and level - with jackstands under each frame rail. Use your floor jack under the differential to release the strain on the spring stacks.

Exactly right, put it up on both frame rails, problem solved. Got rid of the jack stands and invested in some blocks of wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. If you're only using blocks of wood, just make sure you've got them wide enough so that they're not gonna shift on you and flatten you like a pancake. Our trucks are far from anorexic.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
This is how I set mine to keep the truck as low as possible and give me room to work. Single jack under the chunk, set jack stands high on blocks to remove the wheels. Once I popped those guys off bumped up the jack and lowered the stands, then lowered the jack back down onto the stands and voila. Railroad ties work wonders.

Attachments

• CAM02395.jpg
    CAM02395.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 126

RThiel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robb
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.0 LQ9
I agree that you need to do two at a time. Go get some 4x4 posts, cut them into 24" lengths, and then build "log cabin" style bases to set your jack stands on. I was in the fire service, and when we'd stabilize a vehicle to perform extrication with Jaws of Life at a wreck, we'd build bases like these to keep the car from moving. They call it "cribbing". Anyway, 3 posts cut into 24" sections will get two jack stands up 11.5" (assuming the posts are actually 3.5" square), then you can pile them up in a corner somewhere to use again later, or burn them in your next campfire.

fltplan

Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10, LWB
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images

All done, worked great.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If you have a receiver hitch I made a stand that slides in mine. Then you can use small stands to hold the rear. I can post a pic if you want. Its nothing special though.

Last edited:

theblindchicken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 5" lift + 2" BL
Engine Size
350-4, 0.030" over
If you have a receiver hitch I made a stand that slides in mine. Then you can use small stands to hold the rear. I can post a pic if you want. Its nothing special though.

Sounds pretty cool, mind throwing up a pic?

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Easily removed when the rear is back in. Just some scraps I had laying around

Attachments