How to replace power steering pump hoses w/o making a mess?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Greetings,

Looking to replace the PSP hoses. Last time I did this on a different truck, I got fluid all over the place. Could someone outline some steps to ensure a mess free replacement?

Thanks!

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Well, the easiest thing to do is drive over to a buddy's house and do it there.:anitoof:

But if that's not an option there's a couple of things you can do to minimize (but not eliminate) the mess.

If you're on concrete, lay down some plastic sheeting and then some cardboard on top of that.

Use a sqeeze bulb, the type used for adding water to batteries, to suck as much fluid as possible out of the ps pump.

Since I had the replacement hoses before I started, I took them to the hardware store and bought some rubber caps that would just fit over the hose ends. When the old hose comes off, slap a cap on asap.

It's still gonna be a mess, just like trying to replace an oil filter without it running down your arm, but the upside to ps fluid is it cleans up much easier.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Well, the easiest thing to do is drive over to a buddy's house and do it there.:anitoof:

But if that's not an option there's a couple of things you can do to minimize (but not eliminate) the mess.

If you're on concrete, lay down some plastic sheeting and then some cardboard on top of that.

Use a sqeeze bulb, the type used for adding water to batteries, to suck as much fluid as possible out of the ps pump.

Since I had the replacement hoses before I started, I took them to the hardware store and bought some rubber caps that would just fit over the hose ends. When the old hose comes off, slap a cap on asap.

It's still gonna be a mess, just like trying to replace an oil filter without it running down your arm, but the upside to ps fluid is it cleans up much easier.

Thanks for the advice. Never thought about sucking the fluid out first. Maybe I'll get one of those hand-crank pumps to siphon gas to get nearly all the fluid out.

Thanks again.

philjafo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20 scottsdale
Engine Size
350/sm465/np205/d44/corp14
It's not that much fluid, an old turkey baster would work. Since your replacing the hoses you can pinch them off with a vice grip untill you can get it over a drain pan. If you put down the oil dry before spilling oil, its easier to clean up.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I use one of them big square 2` drain pan funnels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1987R10Man