How much weight will a 1/2 ton really handle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
The most I've had in my bed is about 2500lbs when I hauled a 250 gallon water tank. Since my shocks are a little on the soft side, I did sag quite a bit. The truck handled the weight surprisingly well considering that my humble inline 6 is probably making 70HP at this point. Needless to say, I am not doing this again until I get new shocks.

Shocks do not hold the weight my friend. The springs take the weight.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I found an ad on Craigslist for free flagstone, you just had to come get it. So I took my 73 C20 and headed up there. It was about 30 miles away on Interstate 5. I loaded the whole 8 foot bed to a few inches from the top of the bed rail. I had Good quality E-rated tires on it but had forgotten to fill them up to 80psi for a full load. They had 35psi in them and by the time I thought to look the tires looked almost flat. I limped it to the corner Gad station and filled them up to 80psi and cruised it the whole way home. It has the HD springs (9 leaf?) and was maybe 2 inches off the bumpstop. I have no idea how much weight it actually was, but it was a LOT.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for your comment and photo. I would have loaded right to the top of the box, behind the cab, and tapered down so as to keep most of the weight in front of the rear wheels. You still would have needed to air up the tires! Nice score, flagstone can be pricey (depending where you live).

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I've been overload a few times. I'm pretty sure the operators at the gravel pits love trying to crush trucks below the weight of their front end loaders.

A friend of mine needed sand for his yard and had no truck. I had a '78 K10 at the time. Sure- I'll help. Just told them a "little" sand. Maybe 1/3 of the bed. WHOOMP! Full load. Wet sand. Not sure the weight but squatted a lot.

Then with my '77 K20 needed some crushed gravel. WHOOMP! 5,500 lbs of gravel. They weigh you empty then loaded and charge accordingly. It actually drove home much better than my 1/2 ton. And at least this time I had load range E tires filled up to 80 psi.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
I'm surprised by the number of tire places that seem to have no experience with Load Range E tires that are rated to 80 psi.

Every time I have tires replaced I've asked them if they are able to install high pressure valve stems with my E rated tires (vs standard valve stems that are 65 psi max), and I just get a dumb look. I've even had them reply "I don't know where I would get those." A really dumb answer, since they are available from any parts store for about $2-3. Why would a tire dealer not have them if they stock E-rated tires? I've ended up bringing new valve stems in with me.

Bruce

73c20jim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
1973, 1973
Truck Model
C20 2WD Custom Deluxe. C10 2WD Base Model
Engine Size
350 CID 195/260 HP Goodwrench crate, 400 CID 2bbl
3500# of railroad ties in my 3/4. Five ties across five high.

E rated 80 # tires.

Drove like a dream. Wife wants me to keep them in the bed all the time because the truck drove so smooth.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I'm surprised by the number of tire places that seem to have no experience with Load Range E tires that are rated to 80 psi.

Every time I have tires replaced I've asked them if they are able to install high pressure valve stems with my E rated tires (vs standard valve stems that are 65 psi max), and I just get a dumb look. I've even had them reply "I don't know where I would get those." A really dumb answer, since they are available from any parts store for about $2-3. Why would a tire dealer not have them if they stock E-rated tires? I've ended up bringing new valve stems in with me.

Bruce
They must almost never put tires on real trucks??? Most half ton pick-ups these days run E tires.

I put E range tires on my Pontoon trailer this summer after one of the under rated tires got a bubble. (I knew they were under rated and was like that when I got it). It's those little tiny 20" tires . I asked them to out high pressure valve stems in. Sure they said. This is a small town tire shop in a rural town. But they probably do more than a high volume tire store in a big city. BUT as many people drive trucks these days like every other half ton has E rated tires on it if not most from the factory.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Air shocks maybe? Spring overload shocks
Again, shock mounts are not designed to hold the weight of your truck. Even aggressive driving is too much for them and they pull right out of the frame.
You really want the correct answer...? Overload leaf springs. Plenty of aftermarket choices or grab a set from a junkyard C30 Camper Special.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Again, shock mounts are not designed to hold the weight of your truck. Even aggressive driving is too much for them and they pull right out of the frame.
You really want the correct answer...? Overload leaf springs. Plenty of aftermarket choices or grab a set from a junkyard C30 Camper Special.
I'm not saying I have done it or would do it, but many people do.

I agree I would pull springs from a 3/4 ton or use add a leafs.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I'm not saying I have done it or would do it, but many people do.

I agree I would pull springs from a 3/4 ton or use add a leafs.
And I forgot to mention, air bags rock! They're easier to install than over load springs.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
The most I've had in my bed is about 2500lbs when I hauled a 250 gallon water tank. Since my shocks are a little on the soft side, I did sag quite a bit. The truck handled the weight surprisingly well considering that my humble inline 6 is probably making 70HP at this point. Needless to say, I am not doing this again until I get new shocks.

Pix?

That's hot. Them trims are bling-bling and it looks sexy AF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonny1981k1500