Homemade car trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metal tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Truck Year
84 & 85
Truck Model
K10 x2
Engine Size
305 x2
this is late for this discussion, but, if you want to build a trailer of your own. Check out some of the trailer MFG web sites for info. Many list the material used and you can judge your load requirements to match. I built a 20ft dovetail trailer back in 2000. I used channel for everything, outer trailer frame, tongue, and crossmembers. Channel will not rust out from the inside like a box or rectangle tube. I used a portaband to cut all the channel.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
please?! Also thus may be a stupid question. Where would be the best place to get metal... I have welder, and can actually weld, just short on material lol.
With steel prices at ridiculous highs, you are better off waiting or buying used. It’ll cost you far more to build a trailer right now than to buy.

Sauc3r

Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
R30
Engine Size
7.4L 454
With steel prices at ridiculous highs, you are better off waiting or buying used. It’ll cost you far more to build a trailer right now than to buy.
Alright, I appreciate that. I do have a little bit, but I plan on making an air gate for my sqaure and a headache rack for my obs chevy.

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
I work in a scrap yard, any steel we have layin around we sell for .30/lb. Try a scrap yard?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigboytko