home made cross over steering?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I was looking at my dads 93 c1500 today to see what the steering looked like and i had an idea...
Would it be possible to take the steering system out of a 2wd pickup and put it into a 4wd with a passenger side knuckle that is drilled at tapped for the pitman arm? it seems to me like it would work as sort of a homegrown crossover steering system. does this seem possible or am i just imagining things?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I dont think this would be a good idea, 1) because of the idler arms and 2) because of the suspension travel you might have terrible bump-steer. Not to mention the idler arm links and tie rod ends are kinda small/wimpy compared to 4WD drag link ends. It is best to make a straight line with the crossover draglink from the steering box's pitman arm to the passenger knuckle's steering arm with as few intermediate parts as possible.

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Okay thanks C4. I figured if it would work someone would have done it but i thought it was still worth the question.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Okay thanks C4. I figured if it would work someone would have done it but i thought it was still worth the question.

Never hurts to ask, that's why we are here. And yes, I agree that is a bad idea. But I know what you are thinking, I have pondered that myself just thinking about things over the years.

JEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
If i had an extra parts truck laying around i would do it on that just to see what would happen but i dont. o well

LowOnGas

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I am still convinced that homemade crossover steering can be made a reality with some redneckin', some beer, and a lincoln crackerbox. I've looked at mine a few times and am convinced it's very possible..my problem was the 2wd steering box that I can index..until I got to looking and I found out something new about my truck..
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

according to the numbers stamped on this steering box AND the splines on the output shaft I think y'all are thinking what I'm thinking your thinking..only one problem, when I got to looking at it, if I index the pitman arm to facing straight back then it will hit the frame rail right behind the steering box..Is that a typical thing or am I doing something wrong? I'm not trying to jack this thread..I see it as pushing it along!

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
The steering arm has to have a bend in it, you can see it to the right in this pic...

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG00442.jpg
    IMG00442.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 760

LowOnGas

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The steering arm has to have a bend in it, you can see it to the right in this pic...

attachment.php

Mine has a twist, but no bend..where do you park at night?

Joking..but for serious I am googling the heck out of 'bent steering arm' and you talk about unproductive..

Last edited:

LowOnGas

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
nvm I found it, thanks for clearing that up..it was confusing the heck out of me

LowOnGas

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I see you found it too! so other than that what else would be advisable to order? As I look at these components the only other one that looks difficult to replicate is the top plate for the knuckle.

So the pitman arm is figured out, centerlink looks like not much more than some very strong pipe with threaded ends..then I come to attaching the centerlink to the knuckle which makes me feel like it would be almost necessary to order that plate for the knuckle unless I could devise another way to attach it..

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If you have a 10 bolt front, or D44 you'll need a flattop passenger knuckle. You can buy them online or take yours and have it machined for the steering arm. For the draglink dont use just any ole pipe, I think theirs is made of 0.250" wall DOM tubing. Then you get into threading for draglink ends, one end has to be left hand thread and the taps for that are $100 a piece. I just ordered the ORD kit and said heck with all the extra expense.

LowOnGas

Reaction score
First Name
Dustin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The threading..I was going to find something already threaded (be it a nut or whatever) and weld it to the end of the piping..I even considered taking the centerlink thats on it now and cutting it in the middle and splicing in a piece of solid stock..the stiffest most rigid I could find and it not be alloy.

I hate to seem overly determined but it's something that gets asked alot..and after taking a few long hard looks it just doesn't seem that intimidating of a task. Prefabbed pieces on the internet are easy and reliable for sure! Especially when it comes to steering components..backyard built steering setups failing can have catastrophic consquences as I've seen it go bad first-hand. With some guidance from some of you knowledgable gentlemen I think we can make this crappen.

non-alloy shaft, I'll look at my steering knuckle tomorrow and see if I can get any ideas. Has anyone else invested any significant effort, maybe took a swing at building a setup? Even if it was a total failure atleast we'll know what NOT to do...or even better if it's funnier than hell.

Chuck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 crew cab
Engine Size
Hello

Hello I was wondering if I would just be able to move my dana 60steering knuckle and block to the pas side and run some tubing to the pitman arm for a cross over??. I do have a 2wd steering box on a parts truck any impute would be help full. I do have a welder and can weld ok. I have tap and dies to 1 inch also.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DucatiDave