High torque mini starter!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Wouldn't doubt that one bit, lol.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Glad your mini starter works well. Definitely easier to install than one of the full size monsters! And better clearance to header pipes, too.

I like to use name brand parts whenever I can, and have been using rebuilt AC Delco permanent magnet starters for quite a long time. They are available for 153- and 168-tooth flex plates. Had one in my "family" for around 12-3 years, initially in a pickup and then in a 55 Chevy. Currently have one in my 82 C10, which I think is AC Delco #323-485. List price is kinda high, but you can find them for less than $100.

In my experience the AC Delco stuff is definitely in the "install it and forget it" category. For example, the AC Delco (rebuilt in Mexico) 12si alternator I put in a pickup sometime around 2002 is still going strong.

Last edited:

bman1985

Reaction score
First Name
Brendon
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
Depending on brand you buy a spare flex plate, ring gear or flywheel wouldn’t be a bad idea either. Sometimes the get hungry the cheaper ones or even the good but misaligned ones.

+1 I bought a very similar looking Chinese super deal price amazon starters for my truck. I believe the brand was rare electric. It broke after like 3 starts, they sent me a new one..the new one worked fine for a few weeks then sounded awful and chewed the teeth off my flexplate.

I read on another forum to get an ac delco for a 1995 Tahoe with a 5.7L. It's also a small starter and works great. Mine's been kicking for 3 years now. The cheap one gave me an excuse to make a cool clock for my garage though!

You must be registered for see images attach

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
+1 I bought a very similar looking Chinese super deal price amazon starters for my truck. I believe the brand was rare electric. It broke after like 3 starts, they sent me a new one..the new one worked fine for a few weeks then sounded awful and chewed the teeth off my flexplate.

I read on another forum to get an ac delco for a 1995 Tahoe with a 5.7L. It's also a small starter and works great. Mine's been kicking for 3 years now. The cheap one gave me an excuse to make a cool clock for my garage though!

You must be registered for see images attach

That clock is awesome. Killer idea. It came out great.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
X3...:waytogo:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members