Helper bags on compressor C30 dually

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
I have been searching for hours trying to get some answers but I just can't find them.

I want helper bags on a compressor for the few times I tow a year (5000 lbs boat with 300 - 400 lbs tongue weight). I removed a few springs from the rear pack and did the 4" shackle and hanger kit, guessing after spring sag I will be at 5 1/2 - 6" in the rear. So I will be mini-notching it and then want to put a Air Over Leaf set up on a compressor. I do not want the truck to be lifted at all when the bags are aired down, but I have read they need to always have some air in them.

I do not need a fast system, fast compressor, just a little help with towing that I can control from the cab and not have to go to a gas station to adjust the air. I THINK i want an airbag side mounted to the frame directly over my leaf pack, but I do not know.

I see airtech, ride tech, and a bunch of others. Any of your recommendations would be greatly appreciated.. I feel lost looking at all the systems.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Have you looked into using a pair of firestone helper bags? If you do a search for helper bags for your specific application, you could find a pair and modify the upper mount so that it attaches higher on the frame over the axle. If mounted high enough so that the bags aren't completely squashed when not in use and with the bags inflated, it should give you the results you need.

Last edited:

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
Have you looked into using a pair of firestone helper bags? If you do a search for helper bags for your specific application, you could find a pair and modify the upper mount so that it attaches higher on the frame over the axle. If mounted high enough so that the bags aren't completely squashed when not in use and with the bags inflated, it should give you the results you need.

I have seen some firestone bags for pretty good prices. I just do not know what I am doing. I do not know what measurements I need to take or when looking at bags, which bags will work and not work.

some are saying to use big bags, like the ones used for full bag suspension, instead of the helper bags because they ride better when towing... I almost just want to buy a full kit like this one because it is supposed to work for my truck, but I have no idea if it is any good at all.

It is a side mount, bolt on kit....
http://www.ridetech.com/store/airoverleaf-3000lb-sideframe-2.5-bracket-leaf-kit.html

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
For you dually, and lowered the double convuluted bags will offer the best ride and weight capacity. The double convuluted bags when deflated are about 4-5 inches tall and when inflated to 120psi, will extend to about 12 inches tall. You will need to take measurements of when full, how much lift you will accomplish and still ride level for towing. The "soda can" airbags ride like crap when inflated and dont offer the weight capacity of the double convuluted. I had a pair of doubles on my duramax 3/4 to. Diesel pickup. In this application it had a 6 inch lift so in order for the bags to work, I had to fabricate extended mounting brackets to the TOP of the airbags in order for them to work properly. Basically the bottom of the bag had a bracket that attached it to the axle and the top bracket of the bag had an extesion approximately 6 inches long that attached to the underside of the frame. With 5 psi in the bags when unloaded...no difference in ride height....with 100psi and a 10,000lb trailer with 700lb tongue weight...it rode level. I had an onboard compressor. The airbags were plumbed to a schrader valve under the right side of the rear bumper to fill the bags simultaneously. I also had a tee in the air line for my train horns lol.

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
For you dually, and lowered the double convuluted bags will offer the best ride and weight capacity. The double convuluted bags when deflated are about 4-5 inches tall and when inflated to 120psi, will extend to about 12 inches tall. You will need to take measurements of when full, how much lift you will accomplish and still ride level for towing. The "soda can" airbags ride like crap when inflated and dont offer the weight capacity of the double convuluted. I had a pair of doubles on my duramax 3/4 to. Diesel pickup. In this application it had a 6 inch lift so in order for the bags to work, I had to fabricate extended mounting brackets to the TOP of the airbags in order for them to work properly. Basically the bottom of the bag had a bracket that attached it to the axle and the top bracket of the bag had an extesion approximately 6 inches long that attached to the underside of the frame. With 5 psi in the bags when unloaded...no difference in ride height....with 100psi and a 10,000lb trailer with 700lb tongue weight...it rode level. I had an onboard compressor. The airbags were plumbed to a schrader valve under the right side of the rear bumper to fill the bags simultaneously. I also had a tee in the air line for my train horns lol.

thanks man, this is really good information.

As far as measurements go. I need to measure the gap between my axle or top leaf pack (depending on which one i mount to) and the mounting area I will use on my frame? Lets say this is 9 inches. Then I know that a double convolute bag that is 6" tall to 12" tall will work. When I put my load on my truck and it sags a couple inches, then I just fill the bags until they make up those 2' to get me back at level?

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
thanks man, this is really good information.

As far as measurements go. I need to measure the gap between my axle or top leaf pack (depending on which one i mount to) and the mounting area I will use on my frame? Lets say this is 9 inches. Then I know that a double convolute bag that is 6" tall to 12" tall will work. When I put my load on my truck and it sags a couple inches, then I just fill the bags until they make up those 2' to get me back at level?

...sounds about right. If the bags once inflated DON'T get you the height back, you can always imcrease the mount height on top. I used a bracket that I fabricated out of 2" square tube steel.

johnnydefacto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30 Dually 3+3
Engine Size
...sounds about right. If the bags once inflated DON'T get you the height back, you can always imcrease the mount height on top. I used a bracket that I fabricated out of 2" square tube steel.

Great. Thank you for your help. I ordered a double con firestone kit ($300 shipped new) and I am going to see how this works for me. From my rough measurements they will fit just fine. Thank you.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Great. Thank you for your help. I ordered a double con firestone kit ($300 shipped new) and I am going to see how this works for me. From my rough measurements they will fit just fine. Thank you.

Jc Whitney is another source that carries helper bags specifically for lowered trucks too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1