Help with my 400 build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 scotsdale
Engine Size
hopped up L31 waiting for a hot 400
Well thanks guys for helping point me into the right direction. The reason I got the vortec heads was for the better than stock airflow and knowing i was going to port them i figured they could produce 190cc+ when ported and built properly. I have every part for my heads just unasembled and I originally was going to go with afrs but went with the vortecs because of a friend who had good luck with them and i was planning to all out change them like i said, i am now very undecided as to stay with my vortecs and port them or too go with a set of bare head from somewhere and add on to my list of cash dropped into this settup. Im already very deep in this as i said earlier and am about to purchase a reliable gas saver till this is done and i only have so much $$$ left.

I am considering afrs now but keeping them in mind i do plan to boost still, and most likely will buy an intercooled d1sc procharger to match this engine when i save up a few grand and the truck is already up and going would the vortec heads go well on a boosted engine or did Red refer to the afr heads when he said that. Those afrs are very steep and i would love them and actually just got told the same by a friend and was told id make over 500hp with the afr heads and that is what they reccomend. I just wish i knew that ahead of time. If my setup has safe potential on a procharger i do not mind keeping it but if my vortec heads will make my truck a slug after 5500 i may dump them.

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 scotsdale
Engine Size
The vortec heads will be fine for a torquey 400, but not enough airflow for a high HP 400 build - especially with power adders. Build it now and enjoy the torque, then when you want high HP change the heads and spin it higher.

You may find that the vortecs are enough if your cam tops out below 5,500. There's not a ton to gain in airflow when vortecs are ported. 195/200cc heads would be an absolute minimum for the cubic inches you're building when approaching 6,000 & up !

AFR 210's would suit a high rpm 400 very well !!

$.02

Out of all the posts this seems logical i really want to just have my sbc finished and would not mind upping to afr heads in the future, but it would be terrible taking them apart and then reinstalling the inside components in the heads. Also the afrs work with my vortec manifold or just a normal sbc? thanks for the advice though i am glad i made this post before going through with building the vortecs I can atleast consider this now.

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 scotsdale
Engine Size
The Vortecs and that cam are not going to get along, IMO. The cam has no low end torque, where the Vortecs excel. Then when the cam is going to really come alive, probably around 4500-5000 RPM, the Vortecs are gonna start falling on there face. I think either a different cam or heads would be better.

This is also a great piece of straight up advice on my setup i would say. i chose a cam that contradicts my heads I guess and if i can make good power boosting i will but i may get the AFR heads if i can and sit on my engine n/a for a while. Im just glad to have posted this forum before making my next moves

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 scotsdale
Engine Size
Now away from heads on my block i think i am buying scat H beam 6" rods but am undecided between their regular forged H beam or their slighttly higher priced light h beam i can try to re find them and post links if that question is not clear.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
When going to a 6.0" rod, the wrist pin is going to get pushed up into the rings. I would say just make sure that whatever rods you get are going to work with whatever pistons you need. And don't forget that the whole shabang needs to be balanced too. Personally I would say lighter is better, as long as they work with all the other components associated and your future plans of boost.

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 scotsdale
Engine Size
When going to a 6.0" rod, the wrist pin is going to get pushed up into the rings. I would say just make sure that whatever rods you get are going to work with whatever pistons you need. And don't forget that the whole shabang needs to be balanced too. Personally I would say lighter is better, as long as they work with all the other components associated and your future plans of boost.

I did pretty much decide im taking back my roller rockers the day they come getting that $300 back and I am going to see if Jegs will let me return my valve springs and valves.. I was originally going to buy afrs and decided to do a budget head because i heard vortecs were great. I can take a few hundred dollar hit or use those parts or sell them in the future if jegs wont return them but i did pretty much decide to take the advice ive heard from the many in the past 2 days and get the AFR heads. I was reccomended flat tops but I will do I may get help from a machinist I know or l&r on my choice or atleast having the math done. I really cant afford to take anymore hits on this like that. If my engine is making 500 hp or so with those heads then I will propbably hold off on boost and save up for a little while and even build the car im picking up next week and enjoy the N/A monster I just dropped on.

Your truck looks great by the way Im trying to paint mine a dark blue but that color looks great on the ttruck!

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
JEGS will take back anything that has not been installed. No issues. BTDT.

Talk to L&R about your decisions. With a resource like that, don't waste it!

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 scotsdale
Engine Size
JEGS will take back anything that has not been installed. No issues. BTDT.

Talk to L&R about your decisions. With a resource like that, don't waste it!

Ill take that advice.. thanks guys ill keep a forum posted on the truck, and thanks i was worried i could not but that works for me!

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I forgot to say it earlier... this is going to be a killer small block! I plan on someday working over the 400 in my truck, but nothing as radical as you got going!

Buy complete heads, that way you know everything will work together. AFR has great heads, but they aren't the only kid on the block. You will need a different intake too if you go to AFR's. Unless on the off chance the intake has both patterns. But that seems to be the exception, not the norm.

Looking forward to the finished product!

Thanks for the kind words on the truck. Been repainted once in the original color. Dad took great care of it!

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 scotsdale
Engine Size
I forgot to say it earlier... this is going to be a killer small block! I plan on someday working over the 400 in my truck, but nothing as radical as you got going!

Buy complete heads, that way you know everything will work together. AFR has great heads, but they aren't the only kid on the block. You will need a different intake too if you go to AFR's. Unless on the off chance the intake has both patterns. But that seems to be the exception, not the norm.

Looking forward to the finished product!

Thanks for the kind words on the truck. Been repainted once in the original color. Dad took great care of it!

Thats what I am going to do and thats the only advice everyone i have talked to already said was take my other stuff back and buy complete heads.. Im pretty dissapointed if i have to buy a new manifold and am looking for heads to fit it im going to call if i have too out of everything i have purchased i care about my cam and manifold the most lol i swear i have seen them with the interchangible manifold but i am not so sure but that is what im searching for, i will also look into other heads annd ask about them but im thinking afrs because that is what i originally wanted.

Thanks seriously i am too... I would like to do a progeress forum i guess and am down to put up pics of where im at besides my engine next is a new driveshaft and rebuilding my 14 bolt with a posi and 4.10 gears. then after my drivetrains all said and done i can jump into the rest of the truck im moving one system at a time.. drivetrain first then steering i need a new powersteering system and tilt steering column mine is damaged pretty badly. after steering i am installing disks all around and new brake lines and a new booster. I need a new bed most likely and tailgate and hood paint could come at any time and it will be dark blue and a white sidestripe when all is said and done, i am getting the accesory drive like the l31 engine and i do want ac i also need an msd ignition system thats like 600 dollars. I would like to drop 4 inches my truck appears to have a slight lift im re doing the whole suspension with parts from the truck shop. i need a better alluminum radiator metal fuel lines so if i do run e85 it will not eat the rubber. i need exhaust besides headers I am throwing on high flow cats. i cant find the 16 x10 outlaw 2s i wanted but found another set like them for like 600 and then need a great set of tires to go with them. Im probbly ditching my bench and doing my seating like the 87-98 trucks and re doing my whole dash. i have a woodgrain already. I need new carpet and a headliner and dome light. im probably going to put an obnoxious train horn or an owaaga horn. after all of that and somewhat probably a bit more will my truck be where it should be..

And no problem its a great truck and its great looking! I love seeing classics that have been loved thats why im restoring my c20!

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 scotsdale
Engine Size
Oh and about the engine, I wouldnt doubt its power or fun it will bring by any means! there may be a time when i want more but 500+ na is amazing and i think ill be happy with what it can do im no dout expecting 13s but maybe 12s on the seetup. I probably will shoot for 11s in the future that was somthing i wanted for this truck but i would be insane not to be happpy with this engine wherever it puts me! :party36:

Goodluck when you do your overhaul its a great achievment getting what you want out of a vehicle and having a badass engine doing it! even though im not there yet..

Last edited:
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 scotsdale
Engine Size
Im just curious i dont really care and i doubt its really calculatable but what kinda mpgs would you think this truck would pull off with a properly tuned carb

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20 scotsdale
Engine Size

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Im just curious i dont really care and i doubt its really calculatable but what kinda mpgs would you think this truck would pull off with a properly tuned carb
I get 17.5 regularly. But I rock a qjet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli