Heat and soundproofing material

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kenny78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer(2) k30&k20
Engine Size
My 82 has metal floors. I am going to put carpet or vinyl in sometime soon. The vehicle had no carpet nor do any of my other squares. How much will the carpet or vinyl and jute padding cut down on noise and heat? I am assuming not very much.

If more is needed, what is the best bang for your buck? I would like to keep the sound/heat layer under $100 or so. There is 1/4" foil sided foam that claims to cut heat and noise.

Any help is appreciated. I apologize if this has been covered extensively but can't seem master the site search

dwchew22

Reaction score
First Name
Duncan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I recently used this stuff. It took 2 rolls of it. I also used the spray on adhesive made by the same brand. I couldn't find any of it at a chain parts store (autozone, advance, etc) but my local off-road shop had it. The rolls cost about $45 a piece and I think the glue was around $15. So about $105 in total. Their prices are usually around the same as online or other stores. The adhesive was worth it to me since I put the padding up the back wall behind my speaker box, but the adhesive is not needed. My truck has carpet in it and the difference in sound levels was amazing. Yes there is dynamat and others like it out there for much more money that claim to work better but this stuff worked for me. I'm running dual glass packs that are dumped in front of the rear axel on a swb single cab. I can now carry a conversation inside the truck without yelling or saying "HUH?!" Lol. Also my speakers are louder and my subs hit with a much deeper tone than before. Hope this helps!

You must be registered for see images attach

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I've never heard anything negative about Thermo Guard, all good..

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
I just used Frost King from Lowes, it's for wrapping HVAC ducts, but it has worked well so far, definitely killed alot of the sound in the cab.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I used Noico foil-backed butyl in both the dooley and the camaro. It's cheap stuff on Amazon and works fairly well. Remember, it is only meant to help with heat. You need a sound absorber like mass loaded vinyl if you really want to block sound. Like this:

Foil-backed butyl material applied directly to sheetmetal to absorb vibrations and reduce heat

Foam gasket material (noico makes this, its a gray roll on amazon)

Mass-loaded vinyl applied over everything. I used a material I ordered from Home Depot, designed for insulating house walls. It worked fairly well.

Finally, mass-backed carpet. This layer really finished things up nicely. The extra mass-backing really took care of everything the other layers missed.

I would recommend following this process, and check out sounddeadenershowdown for more info.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I sprayed this on the underside of my vette http://www.alsliner.com/alsHNR I still have enough to do the interior also when I get there and I used the Reflectics (Home Depots Frostking) under the carpet. It help reduce the heat cant tell ya about sound the old exhaust droned so bad you couldnt hear the exhaust note.

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Has anyone ran dynamat or the liking (since there are at least a handful of companies that say they are better than X) compared to Thermo Guard? Id like to know the difference as I plan on running a dynamat type material all around the cab.

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Has anyone ran dynamat or the liking (since there are at least a handful of companies that say th better than X) compared to Thermo Guard? Id like to know the difference as I plan on running a dynamat type material all around the cab.
Dynomat is a great product. I have recently used Lizard Skin, which is applied by a roller. Another alternative to dynomat is a Bituthene product. Bituthene is primarily used for moisture barriers. Its extremely sticky and excellent as a sound deadener/moisture barrier as an alternative.

Downside to Dynomat...the price, but it works

spanky55amg

I'll give u $5, a hardy handshake, & 5 fish sticks
Reaction score
First Name
Spanky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Short Fleet
Engine Size
V8
Dynomat is a great product. I have recently used Lizard Skin, which is applied by a roller. Another alternative to dynomat is a Bituthene product. Bituthene is primarily used for moisture barriers. Its extremely sticky and excellent as a sound deadener/moisture barrier as an alternative.

Downside to Dynomat...the price, but it works

Ive used products like Dynomat but more cost effective. But this is the first time I have ever hear of using Thermo Guard, so I wasnt sure what the main differences were.

henrym

Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Truck Year
81/84
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I bought Fatmat off of ebay, much better price than Dyna mat, and half the cost

Forum statistics

Threads