Headlight conversion, harness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi, i have a 83 k10 with a front clip off a gmc jimmy/ sububan, and plan on putting a sealed beam conversion headlight in with an hid kit. Does it matter what whattage hid kit it is?
And, i have headlight wiring for a plow.
Under the hood there in an isolation module, and thats where the trucks headlights are run off of too, would it be fine to put hids on with this wiring?

Thanks!

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
A 35w kit will be sufficient. Just make sure to get a hid wire harness to power them, and avoid frying your stock wiring . I highly recommend www.theretrofitsource.com

I have 35w hids in my retrofited projectors 7x6s and the light output is great.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
A 35w kit will be sufficient. Just make sure to get a hid wire harness to power them, and avoid frying your stock wiring . I highly recommend www.theretrofitsource.com

I have 35w hids in my retrofited projectors 7x6s and the light output is great.

Alright, i will, thanks!

And, with the bi-xenon HID bulbs that you can buy from the sealed beam conversion kit, does that mean you can have the same headlight switch from hi beam and low beam? Or would i have to split into a nromal setup with the 2 headlights for different beams?

And also, just curious cause i dont mind spending an extra 20 bucks, would i need to upgrade anything/what are the downsides to getting 50W ballasts or bulbs or whatever instead? Assumably with a harness that is rated for use with that, of course

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
Your switch would work the same as stock as long as your hid harness plugs into one of the original headlight plugs. You want a H4 harness, that will have the correct plug.

50w is brighter, but 35w is plenty bright. Downside of 50w is they run hotter, shorter bulb life. The bulbs are actually the same, it's the ballasts that overdrive the bulb to 50w.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Your switch would work the same as stock as long as your hid harness plugs into one of the original headlight plugs. You want a H4 harness, that will have the correct plug.

50w is brighter, but 35w is plenty bright. Downside of 50w is they run hotter, shorter bulb life. The bulbs are actually the same, it's the ballasts that overdrive the bulb to 50w.

Ohhh alright thanks!

And, which i said switch i meant it differently, wrote it wrong
I meant that somewhere something i saw led me to believe the same headlight (Cause i have quad headlights, 2 for low 2 for high) would have high beam and low beam abilities. Also, theres a splitter they have on the retro site too, which id assume would be the high beam and low beam one?

Thanks!

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
Post a link to the headlight you're thinking about getting. If it's bi-xenon, it will be low beam and high beam.

To clarify, you would have the sealed beam up top and the stock headlight on bottom?

SugarCane

Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
5.7L
OK looks like their bi-xenon kit gets you the bi-xenon bulb(high/low) and the necessary wiring harness. So if you want both to have high and low then that's the option you want.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus