Headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mybabyk5

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
I need some ideas and info on what kind of exhaust headers will be easiest to install without any additional fabrication and what kind of power gains I could attain?

mybabyk5

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
'87 5.7 TBI p.s. also I have some **** aftermarket muffler that sounds good but want it to sound better any ideas?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
What kind of fabrication are you trying to avoid? Do you need to pass emissions?

You can buy Hooker headers and matching Hooker dual exhaust kit, for a 100% bolt-n deal. However, for your TBI, you will need to weld in an O2 bung in the driver side header collector. I would also highly recommend installing and wiring up a heated O2 sensor. You will also need to cut one leg off the rear support bracket for the AC compressor.

mybabyk5

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Pretty much needing to know what kind of fab work would need to be done. drilling isnt bad. Just have no experience in welding (yet) and no I dont need to pass emissions. I have been thinking of getting rid of a/c (doesnt work and never would use it even if it did) Do have a suggestion of where to get it online for a good deal?

GOBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
summit racing. jegs.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
IMO no fab and bolt on, most likely a set of ebay stainless shorties like I got for my 88, even tho it's gmt400(different body style)

not sure if they'd be the same or not.

almost any other header, mainly the ones with flat flanges you must cut the old flange off your system then clamp or weld on the matching one that usually comes with your new headers. Some bracket work, mostly making spacers or what not is usualy about it. Going from manifolds to long tubes require more exhaust work, usually front section cut off, new pipe bent, flanged, etc.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Usually have passenger side collector contact with the front driveshaft under compression, so you may have to do some clearance grinding if your K5 is a trail rig, if it's a street princess you shouldn't have to worry about it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tazdar