Haunted Horn Honking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty1

Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C10 SWB
Engine Size
I have been fixing all of the neglected items on my 84 step side.
One of the first things I did was fix the horn. I had to rebuild my tilt because of the loose bolts. While I had it apart I installed all of the missing horn button components in the wheel. After I got everything back together it still didn't work. Bad fuse. Replace that and all is well.

That was over a month ago. It has been working fine ever since. Last Friday I went for a drive to Wally World. I pulled up to a four way stop. Heading straight. Hit the gas and the Horn sticks on. So not knowing where the horn relay was at the time I had to stop and reach through the grill and pull the horn wires.

Got home checked the horn wires with a multi meter, No power. Checked the horn relay and it works fine. The relay is clear so I can see the contacts work when I press the horn button.

My next step is to pull the steering wheel and remove the turn signal assembly and make sure none of the wires are grounding out. I pulled the horn button and that all looks good . Anyone else had a problem like this? Any ideas what else to check? It has to be a ground in the relay system.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So the horns stuck on until you unplugged them, but now with them plugged in they no longer work?

Rusty1

Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC C10 SWB
Engine Size
Now everything is OK. No power to the horn wires until I press the horn button. Horn relay works fine. What ever made them stick on cleared by the time I got home.
I just don't want to plug the horns back in until I figure out why this happened.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Something must have been out of place in the contact area of the column. If you had used the horn and it stuck on, my guess would be a faulty relay.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Something must have been out of place in the contact area of the column. If you had used the horn and it stuck on, my guess would be a faulty relay.

X2, replace the relay for the hell of it and go from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
90_burb