Hard to steer after new steering box...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
I replaced my steering box with a rebuilt one from local parts store. Nothing wrong with the old box other than it leaked ps fluid everwhere. When the motor is at idle its like theres no power at all,,,if I increase the rpm,s then theres some power but its nowhere near what it was with the old box. With old box I could turn the wheels to full lock left and right with the truck stopped. New box wont budge at all stopped,,,

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I replaced my steering box with a rebuilt one from local parts store. Nothing wrong with the old box other than it leaked ps fluid everwhere. When the motor is at idle its like theres no power at all,,,if I increase the rpm,s then theres some power but its nowhere near what it was with the old box. With old box I could turn the wheels to full lock left and right with the truck stopped. New box wont budge at all stopped,,,

Does your PS system make any kind of whining noise when you try turning the wheels? If so, there is air in the system. Might be a silly question, but did you replace/refill the PS pump? Something else to consider is the PS pump is shot.

Just some ideas to think about.

kdo58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
Did you have the front wheels off the ground and turn the wheel back and forth to get the air out of the system ?

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
PS pump makes no whining noise at all. I did jack up the front end and cycled the steering back and forth many times. First with the engine off then later with the engine running. The first time I started the engine with wheels up off the ground the steering was real smooth like it was working properly. I drove it around the block a few times and I had power steering, no ps box whine. Seemed like it was gonna be ok. It slowly got worse after I drove it on the freeway. There was no power at idle but if engine rpms were increased I would get a little power. Now theres no power at idle or with engine revved up. Even with the front end jacked up off the ground and engine running theres no power steering that I can feel in the steering wheel?

What do you guys think? Could the PS pump go bad becasue of the new gear box? Or is the gear box a POS. I messed with the nut on top of the gear box to "loosen" the worm gear and all it did was make the steering wheel turn sloppy. Didnt give it more power, I thought that if the gears were set too tight there would not be enough hydraulic pressure from the pump so thats why I loosened it but that didnt work.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Do you still have your old gearbox? Might need to put it back in and see if it's the box or the pump.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
GM gearboxes from the parts store are often rebuilt incorrectly. If I had a nickel for every defective box I've seen from a parts store... well, I wouldn't be rich, but I'd have a lot of nickels.

If you are sure the system is bled, you just have to return it and hope the next one works better. Or fix the leak on your old one. Or look for a local shop that specializes in rebuilding steering boxes.

yevgenievich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Viktor
Truck Year
sad
Truck Model
very sad
Engine Size
less sad
I went through two parts store gear boxes befote settling on most decent one. If you can test the pressure of the system, that will tell you if it is the pump or the gear box

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Take it back to the local auto parts store.
Pick up an AC Delco rebuilt box (not actually built by AC D, but it carries their logo/TM and seem to be built a little better than the others). Rock Auto has them for a little over 100 bucks if you use the 5% discount code.

Chaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chaz
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Suburban
Engine Size
350 tbi/th400/np241c
Well the power steering pump was bad. I put a new (rebuilt) PS pump in and its working really good now. Dont know why the old pump went bad it was working fine with the old gearbox and it wasnt and old pump either. Anyway thanks for the replies.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well the power steering pump was bad. I put a new (rebuilt) PS pump in and its working really good now. Dont know why the old pump went bad it was working fine with the old gearbox and it wasnt and old pump either. Anyway thanks for the replies.

Call my glass half empty, I'd say the old pump was fine and it's just a coincidence. Whatever was sticking in the new box might have just freed up after the new pump was on.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
x2 on what bucket said. take it to a local rebuilder. highdesertranger

Latest posts

Forum statistics