Got a mini starter - I gotsa question about it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I bought a mini starter from Amazon made by DB Electrics. It's a good lookin' unit and quite light compared to OEM.

When I opened the box it came in, it had 2 baggies: 1 with the shim and the other with 2 long bolts and a square piece of foam with a round hole cut out. There weren't any instructions provided except just a piece a paper indicating which bolts to use. So, what is the foam piece for? It was folded in half in the baggie and the hole is large enough to fit around the nose of the starter.

Thanks!

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
I just installed that exact starter about 2 months ago. Forget the foam, its supposed to be a dust cover or something. You don't need it. You likely won't need any shims either - I did'nt. Just pull down the old starter and put this one back up with the new bolts. Easy peasy.

Oh. Just take it easy on the studs for the wires. I think I might have loosened up one of mine. It's working fine, just be careful.

87ChevyR10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
Good to know, thank you!

74propu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
austin
Truck Year
1974 1980 1986
Truck Model
c10s/b c10 s/b c10l/b
Engine Size
5.3 / ?/454 tbi
p that black foam is the dust cover seal throw it in the corner don't need it I just put one on my 454 works real good and light as heck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64