Got a 5.3 donor, have questions..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Hi all, I was able to get a 99 pickup with bad 4l65E and cracked fram in exchange for doing some work for a buddy on his "Bleeper" (Jeep Cherokee welded on top of a cut down K20 frame)

I can pull off anything I need, and he will scrap the rest.

My plan is to pull the engine and wire harness, and get a manual transmission flywheel for it, to hook up the SM465 that is in the truck (Unless I can find a NV4500 before I get that far)

I want to do minimal wiring, no need for tranny shifting stuff, as I am planning on keeping it manual transmission.

Need guidance as to what is recommended to pull off donor truck.

I am wanting to change to electric fans, and not use the stock clutch fan on the 5.3.. Will the K10 radiator be ok, or should I pull the newer model radiator from the donor truck?

Gas tank, my project truck (85 K20 with 1/2 ton axles) has no fuel tank currently, previous owner used a fuel cell mounted in bed, should I use the fuel tank from donor truck? Will it fit my truck?
I know I need to use electric fuel pump, and all, and I could just use the whole tank from the donor truck, if it will physically fit. I've heard they are taller than stock square tanks.. Any ideas?

Motor mounts, I've seen Dirty Dingo ones, for around $150 for our trucks. I found these weld your own mounts, they say they are for S-10 swaps. But visually, they look just like the Dirty Dingo ones for squares. I have a good welder, and so forth. I can get these for $37.99, if they will work.. Anyone know for sure if these will NOT work? https://www.ebay.com/itm/S10-LS1-LS...-2-ea-Motor-Mounts-DIY-you-weld-/332749883116

I Am looking for recommendations on who to send the chip to for reflash.

Any other items I may be missing? Any one link to threads on this subject? I am looking for info, especially from those who've gone down this road before.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
No one has any advice to give on this?

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Your radiator will be fine and more desirable if original (no plastic tanks). I would have the radiator tapped for a barb below the fill location for the steam vent line under the throttle body. Your looking at maybe $20 for that, while it's there have it pressure tested etc.....total maybe $50. Keep the donor radiator in case you ever get in a jam and need one right NOW.

Use the donor fan controller (fuse/relay box) to control your temps with the PCM.

Dirty dingo will be fine, you may have to raise the engine as high as you can get it for clearance on the crossmember. If not notch it.

As said above, there are a few really good posts for the whole process that may answer your questions. Select the "engine swaps" in the sub-forums in "Engine Performance". Tons of info, links, pics, etc.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
My asvice is "don't do it."

Be like Bo......Just Do it! You won't regret it. He knows archery as well!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Bring the entire truck home. Store, pick it, whatever but I guarantee you will need/want parts off it you won't think of until you get rid of whats left of it.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
I have read some threads on the subject, I am aware of the search function. I had some specific questions that were not answered in any of the threads I saw.

For example, is the gas tank from the 99 truck able to fit on the older truck, I read somewhere they are about 4" taller? I think that might be easier than modifying the older style tank to accept the sender, and fuel pump, was looking for anyone who's done this.

Another question was specific to the linked motor mounts that say they are for an S-10, but look pretty much the same as the dirty dingo mounts, only I can get them for under $40 shipped, instead of $150.. I know the Dirty dingo ones will work, my question was about the ones I linked, wondered if anyone had any experience, some of y'all have maybe done an LS swap in an S-10 maybe, and might know how compatible they are?

I have the whole truck in my driveway, I was asking what to pull off it, because I can't keep it forever, wife doesn't like junk laying around, and I've already pushed my luck this far.

A lot of threads don't cover these specific questions.

The donor truck (99) has that goofy clutch fan setup, and I want to go with electric fans. I have a set of electric fans I pulled off an impala, that should work (similar size) but if the PCM originally didn't have electric fans, will it still have that capability?

I did see your earlier post along with the radiator advice. That is what I am talking about. Specific things like that.

As for don't do it, I already need a motor for this truck, I already need a gas tank. Right now, the truck is sitting with no tranny, no engine, no transfer case, no drive shafts, no transfer case, no gas tanks installed. Pretty much a clean slate. It's a 1985 chevy 4x4, with 4" lift, and 3" body lift (which I am probably going to take off) on 33" BFG's. The previous owner of the '85 used it as a mud truck, he welded the firewall, so if I am going to use this truck, I will need to figure out a heater core in addition to the rest. Body (cab) is in great shape, as well as the frame. Previous owner had a big block vortec with twin turbo, etc, etc and a fuel cell bolted in the bed. He got into too deep of mud, and sucked it into the engine, and locked it up, he pulled the engine and sold the rest to me.

So, I found a guy scrapping a '99 truck with a 5.3, and have this opportunity. I just wanna do it right. I am doing research, trust me, but it is also helpful to ask questions about specifics.

I am planning on going with headers, since I hear that the stock manifolds have clearance issues with the frames on our trucks? I am planning on doing the EFI route, basically keep it a stock engine from a 99. Though, I am considering a cam, but I do'nt want to lose any low end torque.

You mentioned needing to get the engine as high as possible, due to the cross member having clearance issues. Are the oil pans on these that much lower than the older engines?

Last edited:

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Check the facebook group I mentioned in the other post. All the answers are there.

Christian Nelson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Christian
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
Check the facebook group I mentioned in the other post. All the answers are there.

Yep, they just now approved my join request. I sent it yesterday, or the day before after reading your other response in that thread.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Cool, yeah there is sometimes a little too much opinion on there but check in the files section and look ad the pinned post and you should have a ton of answers there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tnahaus