GM Crate Engines Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacknife

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-25
Engine Size
The Question I have, Is all the crate engine blocks from Gm the Hechoe n Mexico Blocks? I know the 260 hp & 290 hp engines are. Just wondering if the more costly engine such as the ZZ4 or 383Ht or the big blocks are still the Hecho n Mexico blocks?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
From an article/tutorial at the Super Chevy - Chevy High Performance web site entitled "GM 350 Crate Engine Build - The Goodwrench Quest" and dated September 1st, 1999:

The Engine
The Goodwrench 350 is unquestionably bread-and-butter basic. While all production small-blocks have employed a one-piece rear-main seal design since 1986, the Goodwrench 350 is assembled in Mexico and retains the classic two-piece pre-’86 design. This makes it an excellent choice for a basic hot rod motor for all pre-’86 cars since you don’t have to purchase a new flexplate or flywheel.

Read more: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/46320-gm-350-crate-engine-build/#ixzz3UdwI0rcr

Bear in mind that refers to only where the block is cast - not where the engine is assembled. Incidentally, by all accounts, the quality of the finished product coming out of Mexican foundries is excellent. Some would argue that it is better than what came out of the US foundries before they were shutdown in the late 90's.

Also, GM retains tight control over the manufacturing and quality control process.

The biggest issue to be concerned with is who/where the engine will be assembled and dressed out. While I am sure there are a few companies that do their final assembling in Mexico (ATK for example) most block are shipped to the US and assembled/dressed by one of the many engine retailers.

As far as where the Goodwrench/Targetmaster engines sold by GM are assembled - IDK. But you can be sure of one thing - no matter what new crated SBC you buy, the engine block was "Hecho en Mexico" (Made in Mexico).

Be more concerned with the who assembles your engine than where the block was cast and machined.

A side note from my experience with crate engines (and I can't go into details right now):

While you can assume that the engine block will be okay and it goes without saying that you will "get what you pay for" as far as cylinder heads and internals (pistons, rings, bearings, cam, crankshaft, etc.), it's the little things that make the difference.

Before you chuck your OEM motor, take some time and try to salvage any parts that you think you might be able to use for the new engine. By this I am referring to mostly small external parts.

The quality of GM's OEM fasteners is outstanding. The same goes for any brackets, clips, hold downs you can save. Like the spreaders for the valve covers; the OEM spreaders are the best. Some stuff isn't even available anymore. Consider that little retainer that keeps the transmission cooler lines steady and close to the engine. And the clip that is used to properly route the positive cable from the battery to the solenoid:

You must be registered for see images attach

You might be able to find those two little items on ebay - if you search for months - but you can't buy them from GM any more.

I said I wasn't going to go into details - so I'm done.

Last edited:

Skweegle89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That's a good read

Sent from an old rotary telephone.

Jacknife

Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-25
Engine Size
Thanks Chengny for the reply & link, good read.
I have noticed a change in these blocks. One most recent, is that Comp Cam timing set (Gears & Chain) PART # 2100 will not work on 10067353 engine (260 HP). I am fairly sure that I have used this set several times before on these engines, but there is a slim chance that I am wrong. The chain wiil actaully ride on the block. I suppose one could remove materail around the 3 core plugs for clerance, but I didn't bother with doing that. I just put the single roller gears & chain back on that came with it.
So if anyone doing a cam swap on this engine that very common & wants a double roller chain & gears may want to look at Colyes or something different. Several of them are probally the same. The engine does come with a true roller chain & gears but its single not a double roller.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prenrag