Glass Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Hi,
So my 83 k10's passenger side window is broken. Just the glass, the channel for it is still there (where the glass goes into)
Do i just need to order one of these two glass windows?:
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1299315,parttype,6480
Which one would it be? And should i get the clear or green tinted one?
Ive taken the window out before, but with the glass still in the channel, how do i take out the remaining old glass and put the new in the channel?

Thanks!

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Also, which of the 2 options is the passenger side? Front right or front left according to rockauto?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just go get one at the junkyard. It will be cheaper, you'll get it way faster and it will also give you an opportunity to do a practice run on the R & R procedure. I don't know where you are in MA but try Jack's or Holland's in Billerica, Willsons in Pepperell, Robertson's in Wareham, etc.

Whether you get tinted glass or not... Dude, that's kind of up to you. Couple of things to consider:

Is the driver's side window tinted? If so, would you want the windows on both sides to match.

How dark is the tint? Isn't the Commonwealth of Massachusetts kind of picky on tinted glass?

Do you even like tinted windows?

The metal frame that the glass sits in - and which drives it up and down - is called the sash. The track that the outer edges of the glass ride up and down in (and that the top of the glass goes into when up) is called the run channel. The back side of the vent window casing forms the front part of the main window's run channel. So, to get the sash - and it's attached pane of glass - out, first requires removal of the entire vent window assembly.

Here is a well written procedure on how to remove the vent window assembly and change out the main glass:

You must be registered for see images attach

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Also, which of the 2 options is the passenger side? Front right or front left according to rockauto?

When describing the lateral position of any automotive component, the point of view is as if sitting normally on the seat. IOW - looking forward towards the front bumper.

So, the driver's side is always the LH side and the passenger's side is always the RH side. This is true of all makes and models.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Right and left are references in relation to the vehicle as you are seated in it. So left => Driver's side and right => Passenger.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Okay, Thanks a ton!!!

I've removed the window with it still being in the sash before, and put it back in, and was able to just squeeze it by the vent window without having to do anything with it at all.

And, im on Cape cod, so junkyards are quite a hike. I'm fine with just buying a window.
So one that link (http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1299315,parttype,6480)
i need the second one, the front right side. I believe the glass on the rest of the truck is clear (i put a piece of white paper behind it, and the color didnt change), so i want to keep it with clear, but under options theres green and the second one doesn't say anything but the price and only one remaining. Would this second one be clear, or is there no clear for the passenger side?

Thanks!

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Or, should i just order from LMC part number: 38-6103
Says its Door Glass - Clear - RH REQ

Says its for the Chevy GMC 81-87

So would this be correct?
On page 19 of LMC

Thanks!

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Also, with that part from LMC above, would it still need to put the window into the sash?
And, how do i remove the old and put a new window into the sash?
At this point i have it all out of the truck just dont know how to get the remaining glass out of the sash

Thanks!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
John, you really have to pull the old sash out to do this job.

I'm not sure what you have planned, but - do not try to clean out the remnants of the old glass from the sash and insert/glue a new window into it. Especially - while the sash is still in the door. The repair will fail and it will fail real quick!

Remove the window crank, arm rest, inner handle cup, lock button, etc.
Remove the door panel.
Remove the vent window assembly (incl the frame) as per the procedure above. It takes a little finesse - but after a couple of twists and turns you will get it out.

Then disengage the sash from the regulator rollers by raising/lowering it until the rollers line up with the slots in the sash. Pull the sash out through the top.

Get an OEM window (with the sash clamped/glued to it) from a junkyard. Robertson's in Wareham is massive and the guys there are great. They probably have one on the shelf. It's about 5 miles from the Bourne Bridge. You're on the Cape, how far can it be? Go there!

Understand - if you buy internet glass, it does not come with the sash. As Rockauto puts it:

VARIOUS MFR Part # DD06315N; Does Not Include Attachment2 Door Standard Cab; Front; Right

As above, I strongly suggest that you do not attempt to buy a new piece of glass and insert it into a used sash.

Anybody want to back me up on this?

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The old sash is out, along with the window regulator too. Just the old sash has the glass in it still.

And at 8 miles to the gallon from the far side of the cape over the Bourne Bridge is far... lol

What makes putting a new piece of glass into the sash so hard?
Is it possible, to do that and have it work out? If so, how would you do it?
If i got the glass, do you think an auto glass place could successfully put it into the sash if its something that is more complicated/harder?

Or, better, since id love not having to drive anywhere, can you buy glass in the sash online somewhere?

Thanks!

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
And Jerry, i called Robertson's and they said they dont have it

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Fogerty's in Norton -$25 on the shelf:

Door Glass-Front
Chevy Truck 10 Series RH ... READY... OFF ON SHELF... 7C063 $25 Fogerty's Towing USA-MA(Norton) Request_Quote 1-508-285-7440 Request_Insurance_Quote

If you are ever looking for parts (from a salvage yard) use this locator:

http://www.car-part.com/index.htm

Last edited:

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Thanks for the link!

Sadly, nortons too far from me. Not gonna be able to do it.

Any other way i can do this?

Thanks!

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well, since i had to get my window fixed soon and not really any other options, i ordered the glass off of LMC.

So, since i already bought it, how can i put this into the old window sash? The sash is still in fine condition, i just have to remove the little bit of old broken glass from it and put new glass in. Do i use some kind of glue to hold the glass in? How do i do this?

Thanks!

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Would a:
Door Glass-Front
Chevy Suburban 20

Fit? Its close to me, only one i'd go to get.
If it fits, please let me know!

On ebay i found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/81-91-Chevy...ssories&hash=item5d4e556851&vxp=mtr#vi-ilComp

It says years 81-91 and under compatibility it says it will fit an 83 k10. So, does this mean the 1988 Chevy suburban 20 Front Door glass will fit my truck?

If it doesn't, i am still looking to find out how to put new glass into the sash, as in my last post

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snips71