gauge lights and courtesy lamp issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott Delaney

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
6.2L Detroit Diesel
I jumped in my 83 C20 last night and while the headlights work fine, the gauge cluster lights and courtesy lamp under the dash (no dome light on this truck) were not working. They were working a few days ago.

My instincts tell me this is a bad headlight switch but before I contort myself up under there I figured I'd ask if anyone had any other ideas.

TubeTruck

I'm from Boston. Deal with it.
Reaction score
First Name
Denis
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban K10
Engine Size
LQ9
Check your fuses. Headlights are hard wired, they have no fuse, but the interior lights should have one.

And just to be sure, your headlight switch is turned to the left (or right?) to brighten all the lights? I know this is for dash lights, not sure about courtesy lights.

And I see you're in Joliet..IL? Going to the Super Chevy show this weekend? lol

Dan Miller

K15SG
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

Dan Miller

K15SG
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
May be the coil resistor on your headlight switch not getting a good connection , mine losses contact from time to time. Try turning your switch knob back n forth like you're dimming ur dash lights. You may have to remove the switch n clean the contacts.

Last edited:

Scott Delaney

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
6.2L Detroit Diesel
Well, I checked the 5 amp INST LPS fuse and that was fine.

Then I installed a new headlight switch.** The switch works as before but still no courtesy light or gauge cluster lights.

After meditating on a photo of my fuse panel, it occurred to me to check the 20 amp T/L CTSY fuse. AHA!! (it was blown).

So I replaced that fuse. The new one immediately blew when I turned on the headlights.

So I guess my question is what all does this fuse connect to and how do I chase down this short?

**As a side note, all the instructions I found online for replacing the headlight switch involved pulling the dash bezel. Being a lazy, lazy man I attempted to do it without pulling the dash and it worked. Just remove the pull thingy by pressing the littgle button behind the dash and then use a large screwdriver or something to turn the crew thingy that holds the switch in place. I'm sharing that here because I did not find this method anywhere else in my search.

Scott Delaney

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
6.2L Detroit Diesel
For some reason my posts are double posting. I don't know why so I just edited this one so that it isn't a double post and everybody doesn't think I'm a moron.

Scott Delaney

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
6.2L Detroit Diesel
Problem solved!

I chased down the short. On Wednesday I installed a Reese hitch and it turns out that I torqued down a spacer plate right onto the tail light wire loom that runs along the inside of the drivers side of the frame rail. With all the rust and crap falling down onto me at the time I didn't even notice it was there.

The damage wasn't too bad. I opened up the loom and just wrapped each wire in electrical tape individually and then all together. Should be ok.

Now everything is back to working. I think. The courtesy light and the tail lights work, but I won't be able to see if the gauge lights are working until tonight.

Thanks for all the help!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli