Gas Gauge Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GunMan9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Ok, my gass gauge reads past full when I put on $40 dollars in and then after I put a few miles on her she starts going down to E. I can drive awhile with it on E. Do you think this is a ground problem or is the sending unit bad?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Here is a quick test to eliminate/confirm the sender as the problem:

Crawl under the truck.

Reach up and pull the sensing wire (pink) off the stab on the level sender. This connector pushes on to a threaded post (looks like a machine screw coming out of the head).

Using a test wire, jump the female terminal at the end of the pink wire to a good clean ground.

Turn the ignition to run.

If the gauge responds correctly (i.e. pegs high) the gauge and sensing wiring from gauge to sender are good - suspect a problem in the sending unit group.

Next, locate the lead that goes from the sender to ground (might be multi-colored or plain black). This will be a normal tab type with a 90 degree clip (looks like a little flag). It's the only other wire besides the pink one anyway..

Reconnect the sensing lead (pink), the one that was removed for the first test, back up as normal.

Pull the ground wire off the sender head and now use your test wire to connect the ground tab on the sender to nice clean, rust free spot on the frame.

Turn the key on. If the gauge now indicates the proper level , you have a poor ground connection from the sender to the frame. Clean the contact area at both the sender and frame end of the ground wire. Test the gauge again.

If incorrect readings are still obtained after checking the wiring on both sides of the sender, the intank portion of the sender unit is faulty (bad float, broken internal lead, etc.).

If you're interested; the float should vary the resistance across the sender from 0 (empty) to about 90 ohms (full tank).

If during the initial test, the gauge did not go to full high; the problem is in either the gauge or the sensing lead (the pink wire).

Last edited:

smurph20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP208/4.10's
You guuys must have little arms to be able to get the wiring loose on the sending unit cause mines way to close for me to get my arm up there without loosening he tank and letting it drop a few inches.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Yeah, you're right - sorry.

That was written for someone who had already loosened his straps and could get his hands up in there.

Unfortunately, to find out if it's a sender problem, you'll eventually have to gain access to the wiring connections.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gage T