Fuel Tank Replacement Seals / Rubber Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I even wondered about sound deadener....even the cheap stuff Home Despot sells. Just didn't want anything that would hold moisture.

But yeah - stick on sounds like a better idea.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I just bought the LMC strips and they are TERRIBLE quality. It’s not foam strips like I thought it would be. Instead it’s thin felt paper like the stuff you put down under roof shingles. I still used it, but it’s 15$ I wish I could have back.

The set that came out of mine were similar to a tar/felt paper.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
When I removed the tanks off my 78, the strips were not rubber. They were a thick tar paper. These were definately original. I replaced mine with thick tar paper as well. Find a roll of 4" wide in a local hardware store
What does tar paper get used for? Other than a strap isolator of course.

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
They sell the foam at either LMC or Brother's but I bought this a couple of weeks ago ad will be putting it in today if all goes as planned:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L8NLESK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do not order this for your tanks. I am trying to put my tanks in now and this stuff is way too thick. Without it the threads on the new straps stick through the holes about 3/4", with it in I can barely get 1 thread through the hole. Not sure if this stuff is returnable, could have been a waste of $40...

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Perhaps a strap with a longer threaded rod? or maybe get a threaded rod of the same style just to make more length? Weld on to end of current rod? The strap should tighten up a good amount.. I never installed any on mine.. never came with any.. nor came off

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
I'm just going to go to one of the houses around the corner that is being roofed and see if I can have a piece of the tar paper. I'll cut it to length and be done. Shouldn't hold water, plus I put two coats of POR15 on the tanks, so they shouldn't rust.

But I like the thought of adding some length to the current rod.

Lowered87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Do not order this for your tanks. I am trying to put my tanks in now and this stuff is way too thick. Without it the threads on the new straps stick through the holes about 3/4", with it in I can barely get 1 thread through the hole. Not sure if this stuff is returnable, could have been a waste of $40...

I went to a belt and hose store and bought bulk rubber to cut to the length and width that I wanted. Then I glued it on with rubber cement. Then I found out my rubber was too thick but I wanted it to last forever. So I used bolts and hex coupling nuts to span the difference. I was making protective cages for my side tanks anyways. Squarebodys can still burn to the ground with the outside fuel tanks getting hit in the side. After I finish my cage the tank will have no worries.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've got a roll of some old sound deadener from a company called Brown Bread. Think they're gone now. This stuff is from a car I did in 2005. Its a .080 polyolefin based material covered in 3M glue. My new tanks are powder coated so between that and this stuff, think I'll be good.

But many great alternative ideas here. :hat:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
78ALB