Fuel Hose: Bulk off-the-shelf vs Fuel Injection Rated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Back Story:

Approximately 2 years ago I purchased a 1986 C30 Big Dooley. It had a few issues including a bad fuel pump, and a bad fuel sender. At that time I replaced both components as well as all the associated rubber fuel lines. I used the bulk fuel lines you can get at any auto parts store (Advance Auto in this instance) and they are rated SAE 30R6.

Flash-Forward to Last Week:

So last weekend I started getting a very strong smell of fuel in the cab - so much so that it was sickening. So I popped the hood and the first thing I noticed was the fuel line going to the pump. It was cracked all the way along its length with string showing through. It was leaking A TON at the pump, and was actually pooling on the engine cross-member. It would not have taken much to go BOOM.

Yesterday:

After I parked the truck for the week I went ahead and pulled all the rubber fuel lines out, dropped the passenger fuel tank (leaving the driver's for later as I don't use it) and removed all the 2-year old rubber lines. All were marked SAE 30R6. All showed signs in varying degrees of the same problem.

SAE 30R6 vs 30R9:

I did some research on the topic, and it would appear that fuel hose sold at auto parts stores (the stuff you get when you say "I need some fuel hose please") is rated SAE 30R6. This means it is rated for old-school fuel - NOT modern ethanol-laced fuels. What I experienced is the result of that.

It turns out that another hose is made with an SAE 30R9 rating. These hoses are generally referred to as "Fuel Injection Hose" because they are rated for a much higher pressure - but more importantly they are rated for use with ALL fuel types including alcohols, fuel-oils, diesels, etc etc. They don't tell you this at the parts store. 30R9 is much more expensive than the old school stuff, but it is built to handle government-required bull-sh... sorry ethonol-mixed fuels we find at 99% of gas stations today.

This link talks about this topic in detail. They refer to SAE 30R7 in this article, but the same goes for the 30R6 found in auto parts stores. They key is where they talk about the Flouroelastomer (FKM). This is what makes these lines what they are.

http://www.gates.com/oreilly/tech_ti...elLineHose.pdf

The Moral of the Story:

Ask for SAE 30R9 Fuel Injection Hose when replacing rubber fuel hoses. You don't want to experience an engine fire, or like me get off lucky and simply have to replace them all again. Do it right the first time!!!

Last edited:

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
The thing is though this is more consumer education than anything else. Yes ethanol is here and most likely will not be going anywhere anytime soon which is why the 30R6 hose can be sold for. Don't forget fuel line has MANY uses other than fuel line such as being used for vacuum lines.

I do suggest to everyone to understand that ethanol is an alcohol and because of such rubber that isn't meant to stand up to it will dry rot and crack. I discovered this on my motorbike as the tank seal after a year was cracking and deteriorating badly.

Ethanol fuel can suck a fat one.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Thanks for the heads-up. That's good to know. Now I need to go check my lines to make sure they are the right kind.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
What I would like to find is the ATF specific hose for my power steering ???

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I just need a length of hose that I can cut and install for the return lines

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Thanks for the heads up!

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
What the hell is with all the links in my post? I didn't want anything linked, other than the one I posted. When I hover over one it says "Link added by VigLink" and it sends me to random amazon pages and stuff. :wtf2:

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Dammit it did it in that one too! Hmmm... I could have fun with this if I wanted...

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What I would like to find is the ATF specific hose for my power steering ???

My local O'Reilly auto parts store has Hayden and Gates ATF hose in 3 sizes.

But wait, power steering hoses may not be the same as ATF hoses. If your PS hose lengths or fittings are not standard for your year/model truck, then find a hydraulic hose company in your area. I have two of them within 15 miles that will make custom PS and A/C hoses.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
What the hell is with all the links in my post? I didn't want anything linked, other than the one I posted. When I hover over one it says "Link added by VigLink" and it sends me to random amazon pages and stuff. :wtf2:

Revenue for the site owners. These forums cost money to maintain.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
My local O'Reilly auto parts store has Hayden and Gates ATF hose in 3 sizes.

But wait, power steering hoses may not be the same as ATF hoses. If your PS hose lengths or fittings are not standard for your year/model truck, then find a hydraulic hose company in your area. I have two of them within 15 miles that will make custom PS and A/C hoses.

Return lines don't have crimped fittings.

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Revenue for the site owners. These forums cost money to maintain.

Oh ok. As long as its meant to be there. I thought the site had got bugged or something.

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Return lines don't have crimped fittings.

Neither do fuel hoses. How a hose is terminated has nothing to do with its ability to withstand power steering fluid, ATF, or gasoline/ethanol.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Trans fluid and ATF are the same thing when it comes to most anything GM. Just go to the parts store and ask for trans cooler hose in the size you need for your power steering line (return). If they are idiots (likely) then they will come back to the counter with fuel hose and you will have to tell them again you need trans cooler hose and go look again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MIDWESTCUSTOMS