Fuel gauge problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisrothjr

Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1500
Engine Size
I've got a 1987 GMC v1500 and my fuel gauge is busted. Been this way since I bought it in September. The needle will spin all the way to the right and stay there. It won't move when I fill the tank or when the tank is empty. The gauge is fine but the information being sent to the gauge is bad. I got a new gauge but the new one did the same thing.
I've just been feeling with it and filling up when I think the tank is near empty, and this is a 16 gallon tank so it's every 3 days. Yesterday I filled up and it turns out I had .15 gallons left in the tank. So I think it's about time to get this problem fixed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Read the first response to this thread.
http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8926

IslandSquares

Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350ci
Its a bad ground either at the tank or my guess behind the gauge. The ground contact sometimes spreads apart and you have to pinch it back together you will see what i mean when you pull that gauge off. 100% what it is.

combatcvic

Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350
I had this issue with my 91 suburban when i resurected it from a barn. I took it to a shop and they fixed the problem after dropping the tank and replacing the fuel sending unit.

Hope that helps!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dan87r10