Fuel Gauge not working. Wiring mess, pics inside

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AdamF

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
Ive been trying to get the fuel gauge in my 1982 Gmc sierra working without any luck. The previous owner hacked and slashed lots of wires under the dash that ive been chasing around. He also removed the fuel tank selector valve under the frame rail and removed the drivers side fuel tank as well. I have replaced the sending unit in the tank, ran a new wire from the sending unit to the bulk head connector where he cut the wire.
You must be registered for see images attach

I followed this wire from the bulkhead to the plug for the back of the instrument cluster. It goes into plug#18.

A pink wire also comes out from 18 it looks like and its spliced together with a pink wire form #7?

I put a new fuel tank selector switch in as it was missing. The wires from the switch are 1 pink going to the fuse box IGN. One black going to the bus bar GRND.

AdamF

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC
Engine Size
One dark green and one light green which are going out the firewall. I beleive these 2 green wires going out the firewall may be the problem area as there is no wires or plug to plug into them.

I have a few donor clusters that i have tried with different gauges. Nothing seems to work. The gauge does not move at all with the key on. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Charlie

Mopar by Birth. Chevy by Choice.
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
Cheyenne 10 LWB
Engine Size
350/TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
:welcome:

Latest posts