Front axle off set to passenger side

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
You must be registered for see images attach

Not a groove, you can’t feel it, it’s smooth but there’s a couple greyish areas? Replace? Reuse?
Honestly its a toss-up... I would probably just clean out all that old grease in there, repack bearings, and put it all back together. It looks like drivers side was done improperly by your dad and was on the way to total failure. This side looks good, but definitely hasn't been serviced in a while. The "groove" you are seeing is likely just the area where the bearings have been riding. If you can't catch the groove with your fingernail, and there isn't any discoloration, I would just reuse it. Clean the heck out of all of it including a hefty spray of brake cleaner and then throw it all back together. The amount of grease you used on the hub locks on the drivers side also looked good to me. You want enough to lubricate everything, but not so much that it gums up. I also tend to pack some grease into the center between the inner and outer bearings before I slide the new outer bearing on. If the spindle has any junk or grooves on it, clean with red scotch brite pads and brake cleaner. It won't damage the surface but will clean everything off quick and easy without scratching the surface.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Too late, just hammered in a new race, the old bearing was a timkin tho, it has a couple dark spots but I couldn’t take a chance so I hammer out the old and just tapped in the new and about to reassemble.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Too late, just hammered in a new race, the old bearing was a timkin tho, it has a couple dark spots but I couldn’t take a chance so I hammer out the old and just tapped in the new and about to reassemble.
If you changed the race, use a new bearing and vise versa. Never combine an old bearing or race and a new one. Either leave them both old or change them together. Also, with a new bearing and race, expect to have to pull it down enough to retorque everything after a few thousand miles.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
That doesn't mean you can't have a new bearing/race on the outside and keep the old one inside... thats totally fine. But always keep old/old and new/new with a bearing/race combo.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
Thanks for mentioning that, i haven’t put anything back together yet I’ll go ahead and pack a new bearing with grease put the seal in and start reassembly.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I completely agree with what @Bextreme04 said about new bearings/new race.

I was on the fence about replacing the race with the groove because I didn't want to create more work for you but I absolutely believe you did the right thing by replacing it.

Also, I wasn't answering because I was on the road in my '87 ordering new front leaf springs and new tires! :)

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
So what’s my issue now? I can’t get the rotor to slide the whole way on the spindle? It slides about half way on the last “ledge” and gets stuck. And it’s not easy to pull back off. Am I doing something wrong? @Bextreme04 @Redfish the new bearing looks same as one I took out and I tried to slide old bearing on and it doesn’t slide very far either.
Edit: I have about a half hour longer to work need help ASAP! Lol

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
In lack of better words, the seal isn’t going as far as it needs to since the inner bearing isn’t sliding the full way to the back it stops about a quarter of the way on. Do I need to get aggressive and shove it on? Or am I just doing something wrong? I did verify it’s the bearing getting stuck.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350

Old bearing for reference, shouldnt it slide the whole way back to the bevel?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Anyone? All I’m hearing is crickets.. storms moving in around 3, it’s 12 now. Need truck back together ASAP. Is the groove that big of a deal I need to replace the race? How do I get the race out? I don’t have a press..
I would replace, but I’m more anal than the average person. Use a brass punch to get stuff out and a bearing race and seal driver to reinstall.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
I have the bearing already reinstalled, I just can’t get the rotor to fully seat back on the spindle.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I replied before refreshing my browser.

Try measuring the ID of both bearings with a micrometer if it isn’t going back on the spindle as far as it should.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350
The old bearing that came off of the spindle won’t slide back on either, they both stop at the same place is what makes me think it’s my problem not the bearing.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I have the bearing already reinstalled, I just can’t get the rotor to fully seat back on the spindle.
Its pretty standard for them to get twisted like that and then bind. You have to be careful when you put them on that it stays straight. If it gets twisted and binds it will need a little persuasion, but be careful it doesn't get twisted even more. Now that it is stuck like that, you will probably need to just give it a slight tap on the side that is out more and it will free up, then you can pull it off and get it back assembled with the seal. Then try again, being careful that the bearing is straight when you start putting it on. Give small taps to keep it straight and it will slide on. It is a very mild interference fit or EXACTLY the same size as the spindle, because you don't want any slack in it on the spindle or else the hub would be bouncing around on the spindle.

iamtherealJayy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1987, 1978, 1976
Truck Model
V20, K10, K10
Engine Size
350, 350, 350

Bearings are both same size and the spindle pushed the caliper open just a little, has some magical occurrence happened and my spindle swelled? @Bextreme04 @Frankenchevy @Redfish

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Old Hickory