Front axle 4X4 stripped balljoint adjuster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Has anyone ever seen anything like this???
You must be registered for see images attach

Rebuilding this 14 bolt front differential/axles,got the knuckles off and found this in the right side upper ball joint instead of the threaded adjuster.
I tried to find an oversize balljoint adjuster that could possibly replace this thing by threading the egged out hole and installing an oversize adjuster.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so how did You get it remedied.
If there is no other fix I will use this thing but I dont think the turning torque of the knuckle would be correct.
This center hole in this thing is offcenter to allow for camber/caster adjustment.
Thank You in advance for Your replies MrMarty

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Looks like it's a sleeve that's meant for adjusting the camber. Does the hole in the center appear to be just slightly offset?

*edit* I see I missed the part of your post that answered my question. So yes, it's there because someone wanted to adjust the camber. Have you tried cleaning up the threads and installing an adjuster sleeve?

Last edited:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Looks like it's a sleeve that's meant for adjusting the camber. Does the hole in the center appear to be just slightly offset?

*edit* I see I missed the part of your post that answered my question. So yes, it's there because someone wanted to adjust the camber. Have you tried cleaning up the threads and installing an adjuster sleeve?

There are just a very few threads right at the top of the hole,The adjuster will screw in about two turns and beyond that,well I did not try to force it,did`mt want to have something else break on Me today.:happy175:

I mentioned to Rick that there must have been a reason for them installing that,possibily something may be slightly sprung and to get the front end back into whack they probably installed that.I do remember where the split lay{hehehe} so I will put it back into that position but then I had better get it to a frontend alignment shop and get it all checked out upon completion of the installation.
My original thinking was that a ball joint nut had come loose or was`nt torqued to spec and wobbled the hole out and so that had been installed for a sort of a repair,but then I seen how off center the hole is in the sleeve and then I`m going HHHMMMmmm.
I am one of those people that likes to antiseize pieces that might have to come out for future repairs,I antiseized this sleeve but after thinking about it for a while I am now thinking that I might not want to risk having that thing turning in the bore so maby letting it rust and seize in might be a good thing,I do`nt know.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I just put a piece of 3/4 inch shafting down through the hole and rotated the sleeve and the inside edge of the shafting goes around the outside of the lower hole,on the other side with the adjuster the shafting is pretty much dead center of the lower hole.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
:wtf:

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Caster Camber Concentric

:anitoof: Thats what I thought when I pulled that side apart.:anitoof:
After doing a bit of a search I found that that device is a caster camber adjusting sleeve.
There are two pointed allen screws that is suppose to keep that device from spinning but it did`nt work as there is a groove in the top of the yoke where it had traveled in a quarter circle.
I borrowed a tap and cleaned out the threads in the yoke and installed the new balljoint adjusting sleeve back in the hole so that it will be correct on tension when finished.
I did find out that if the caster/camber is off there is circular shaped shims that can be installed between the steering knuckle and the spindle.
Another method is to heat the top or bottom yokes of the axle so when it cools it will draw that yoke in closer to make minor adjustments.I do`nt know how this could be accomplished without removing the ball joints to keep from destroying them.
Maby there woild be some alignment people in this forum that could reply with their methods of adjustment if the caster/camber would happen to be far enough out to create excessive tire wear.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've seen those adjusting sleeves a ton of times, but it's always in a Furd product with the silly twin i-beam front suspension. They always have big issues with negative camber.

IMO, the camber doesn't need to be perfect on these trucks. It really doesn't change tire wear or how the truck drives. If the camber is off too far, some part of the housing is probably bent.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I've seen those adjusting sleeves a ton of times, but it's always in a Furd product with the silly twin i-beam front suspension. They always have big issues with negative camber.

IMO, the camber doesn't need to be perfect on these trucks. It really doesn't change tire wear or how the truck drives. If the camber is off too far, some part of the housing is probably bent.

That was a first for Me,I had never seen one before.
Near as I can tell the toe in was set at 1 1/2 inches in,adjusted that and now the pickup handles very nice,but,then the transfer case crapped out,has only 4 low.
I started another thread on that but there has been no reesponses.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
1.5 inches?!! or was it degrees?

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
1.5 inches?!! or was it degrees?
Inches it was,set it down to 1/16th and now that old pickup handles and rides like it was new.
When He finishes paying for that suburban that front end will come out from His pickup and it will then go under My 79.I already had the parts for the 79 front end as it is in terrible condition but when it comes to helping someone that is in dire straights I`ll do what I can for them.
OK,I`ll go out and get a pic. of the 79 and post it up in here,it is not purdy though.LOL