Floor replacement questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Don't know if this should go here or transmissions so I'll stick it here. 87 V10 Custom deluxe. The drivers side is rotted all to hell rocker is shot floor pan has a solid square foot hole in it. I'm replacing the floor board so my question is stock replacement or fab my own out of diamond plate? Its gonna be a daily and an off road rig so its not gonna have to win any beauty competitions. Also should I fab up my own tranny hump or replace it for a manual one when I swap trannies? Thanks in advance

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Depends on how much time you want to invest. Nothing wrong with stock floors unless you plan on keeping it for 20 years, driving on salt roads etc. checker or thicker steel is better, but your host materials are light anyway and will rot out just the same

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
I'm in the rust belt so I see quite a bit of salt in the winter. I plan on using por 15 on the bottom of the cab and frame after I replace the floor. I just didn't know if anyone else has done it or if it would be worth the trouble

87R10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
DONT use POR on NEW metal unless it is sandblasted. POR stands for "paint over rust". It will peel off in sheets...trust me, I learned the hard way. It needs a rough surface to adhere to.

Linville33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Scotsdale
Engine Size
SBC 400
Alright thanks man

cedens

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Cliff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
305 4bbl
i was considering on mine, do a diamond plate floor and leave it for looks, or just by the repop LH and RH pans and innner rockers, then buy a sound/heat pad and a carpeting kit and go that route on the interior.

I only have to replace about 6 or 8 in on the Right and about 4 on the left that is ate up.

I know the diamond plate to get it to match will take a lot of bending and welding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06