Floor pan patch panel repair suggestions, hints, tips, info needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mines a '74. Normal rust spots. I've never installed floor pans before. I've never done a rocker repair before, have above average fabrication and metal working skills and tools, am not at all afraid do give it a crack but, at the same time, I don't want to cut the wrong piece or too much when I start nippin' so that I have to clean up a "didn't know any better" mess.

Here's the damage I've gotta deal with. Basically the PO's let mud, sand, leaves, and other crud build up in the rear portion of the fenders where it just ate everything.

You must be registered for see images attach

That combined with the usual drainage problem into the cab area and the floors are toast. Drivers from the inside

Drivers from the underside

Passengers is almost exactly the same

Passengers underside

Both sides have gotten slightly into the rocker but only the front of it, the rest looks solid.

So thats where i am. a few questions:

What's the right way to fix this? Replace the inner and outer rocker and floor pan OR patch the inner rocker and repair the floor pan OR ?? Half drop in (4,5) or half replace (2,3) pan?

2 lbs of plumbers putty and some chicken wire? Anyone know of a writeup covering this that I can check out? $100 + my time OR $800 materials and labor to have the shop that's gonna paint it, do it? Any help and guidance is appreciated.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Somebody posted a rocker or cab corner repair in one of my rust attack threads. Can't remember who it was though, maybe Swims? Or Snowball? It was a white truck.

Posted From Hell

Scorpion

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
:popcorn: :popcorn:

Somebody posted a rocker or cab corner repair in one of my rust attack threads. Can't remember who it was though, maybe Swims? Or Snowball? It was a white truck.

Posted From Hell

I found this one but it didn't have any information about the rockers.

http://www.gmsquarebody.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627

I've been doing some research on how to seal the inside of the rockers and it seems that the best practice is to try to get some POR-15 or Epoxy primers inside. Seems the biggest trick is how to do well enough to prevent the moisture from getting where there is raw metal and then to prevent moisture from getting through the patch panel weld seems to where they can get under the filler material.

tnsser

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
As long as you have good drain holes rust should stay minimal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jingle1