Fix Slamming Doors - Striker Door Latch Repair

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
So pursuant to this same issue and fix, where the door latch rubs the striker (pic below), I presume this is just a little sag in the door over time. Drivers side is always worse than passenger for obvious reasons.
Is the proper way to fix to shim the door back “up” a little? Which requires removing the fender.
Both of my trucks are like this and probably every other one out there. But my door pins are not sloppy or worn out. Just the grinding every time hurts the brain…
Has anyone just lowered the striker a bit? Always hate to mess with good closing relatively straight doors.
You must be registered for see images attach

In your case, I would not adjust the striker down at all. When the door drags on it, the striker raises the door up a bit. I'm assuming you have nice door gaps right now. So if you adjust the striker, it will throw off your door gap.

So since your hinges are not sloppy, what has happened is your doors are actually tweaked a bit in the hinge mounting area. It's very common. There are three different ways to fix it:

1- Simply tweak the door back to where it belongs. There are different methods of doing this, but I don't recommend it because the door will just sag back down in short order.

2- Remove the fender and adjust the lower hinge rearward, to kick the door back up where it belongs.

3- Install body shims between the door and lower hinge to kick the door back up. While not being an area that the factory ever installed shims, it's simple and it works well.

One other note. A properly adjusted door will not rely on the striker to make it line up in the door opening. The easiest way to get a door lined up in the opening is to have the striker removed while the door is being adjusted. When the door is adjusted and has proper gaps, then install the striker so the door can latch. The striker is not an alignment device, it is only a latching device.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
@bucket
You described it perfectly and in perfect detail.
Correct. Door gaps are “good” not show car good but good as any 40-50 year old car that rolled off the line.
Hinges/pins are tight, no slop, and doors close fine but dragging a bit. Drivers side worse than passenger for obvious reasons on both trucks.
Agree, just gradual over time slight tweaking of the hinges.
#3 is the solution I did not consider. But will do exactly what is needed. Looking forward to 4 perfectly closing doors as soon as Scamazon delivers me a pack of body shims!
Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rickybobby69