Farm find 89 Chevy V3500 Cab/chassis DRW 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PiutePete

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
WillyPete
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
454 Cubic Inch
Found on a farm. 89 Chevy Scottsdale 1ton 4x4 454 tbi w/aftermarket propane system SM465 NP 205. 2 owners, ~80k on the dial. Not running...yet. Been sitting +10 yrs according to farmer. So far engine cranked on a fresh battery, no fire unless fuel poured down the TBI, strong/smooth response to fuel. Power at pumps in both tanks. No pump noises even on bypass. So far all electrical systems, clutch/trans/transfer case/hubs all work. I filled a yard size trash can twice with junk from under the seat and out of the toolbox. Dash is toast, rubber floor mat in same condition. A perfect seat underneath 2 saddle blanket style seat covers. All glass crack free, little bit of rust cancer in cab/fender corners and bottom of tool box bins. Once I get that fuel flowing I'll have more.

Attachments

• 173431.jpg
    173431.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 64

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
Great find! I'd trade my work truck for that in a heartbeat.

Welcome aboard, hope to see more of this truck!

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Nice find. A V truck is a gem these days, running or not. If all the accessories work on the utility bed, that's an added bonus.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum. Propane tanks don't need a pump because the propane is under pressure. There will be shutoff solenoids that are electric.

If the tanks have fuel you should also look for a manual shut off valve that most states require. Most manual valves are usually located in the fuel tubing along the frame. Would probably have had, a sticker pointing out the location, now gone.

PiutePete

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
WillyPete
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
454 Cubic Inch
Found on a farm. 89 Chevy Scottsdale 1ton 4x4 454 tbi w/aftermarket propane system SM465 NP 205. 2 owners, ~80k on the dial. Not running...yet. Been sitting +10 yrs according to farmer. So far engine cranked on a fresh battery, no fire unless fuel poured down the TBI, strong/smooth response to fuel. Power at pumps in both tanks. No pump noises even on bypass. So far all electrical systems, clutch/trans/transfer case/hubs all work. I filled a yard size trash can twice with junk from under the seat and out of the toolbox. Dash is toast, rubber floor mat in same condition. A perfect seat underneath 2 saddle blanket style seat covers. All glass crack free, little bit of rust cancer in cab/fender corners and bottom of tool box bins. Once I get that fuel flowing I'll have more.

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
:welcome:

PiutePete

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
WillyPete
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
454 Cubic Inch
Well I guess I screwed that up.

@RecklessWOT thx I'll be doing my best to put up more.
@CheemsK1500 the compressor spins freely but the pony motor's fuel and electrical wires are completely gone. Motor turns though. Who knows?
@turbo4the farmer said he never used the propane setup and the truck only ran on the left tank when he ran it. I'll definitely take your advice and check the fuel lines for a cutoff. Thx for the tip!

This evening while having my happy hour, I did realize the driver's side seat belt was inop. I disassembled the retractors, cleaned everything up and re-spooled the retractor springs and now everything works like a charm. Maybe I'll do up the others ideas tomorrow. Here's an inside peek into what I've initially started calling Babe. As in the big blue ox.

Attachments

• 20220819_163101.jpg
    20220819_163101.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 53

CheemsK1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
K1500
Engine Size
Well I guess I screwed that up.

@RecklessWOT thx I'll be doing my best to put up more.
@CheemsK1500 the compressor spins freely but the pony motor's fuel and electrical wires are completely gone. Motor turns though. Who knows?
@turbo4the farmer said he never used the propane setup and the truck only ran on the left tank when he ran it. I'll definitely take your advice and check the fuel lines for a cutoff. Thx for the tip!

This evening while having my happy hour, I did realize the driver's side seat belt was inop. I disassembled the retractors, cleaned everything up and re-spooled the retractor springs and now everything works like a charm. Maybe I'll do up the others ideas tomorrow. Here's an inside peek into what I've initially started calling Babe. As in the big blue ox.
Interesting. From the look of the lower dash, It looks like it was a white truck that was painted blue at some point. It's also nice to know I'm not the only one drinking Coors Banquets when I work on my stuff.

idahovette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Perry
Truck Year
1975-1979
Truck Model
K20-K10
Engine Size
Interesting. From the look of the lower dash, It looks like it was a white truck that was painted blue at some point. It's also nice to know I'm not the only one drinking Coors Banquets when I work on my stuff.
@CheemsK1500 I also used to drink "yellow" Coors, but in the long neck bottles. Stopped when they went to the "stubby" little fokkers......reminded me too much of the old Oly $hit

PiutePete

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
WillyPete
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
454 Cubic Inch
@CheemsK1500 I was drinking Colorado koolaid way back in the day. Yes the color code indicates a frost white as the original color. It was definitely an exterior "tape n spray". Maybe take it back to white?

@idahovette I could regale you of a story where as a young man I came across a couple pallets of Oly Gold hidden away in a ammo mag on an island in Alaska. But I won't, but I will say we drank it and was glad for it.

@Corvette Ed and @Shorty81 thanks amigos.

So the controls for the snow plow work, but the pump was dry and the amount of leaks in the hoses/fittings was numerous. That part my be set aside for a much later time. I don't really have a need for the plow. The only air cleaner I can find online is a $300 K&N. The Pimco propane fogger that replaced the stock air assembly has to go, if anyone has an assembly for a 454 or aftermarket idea I'd be grateful. Fuel tank collar tool to remove the pumps/senders is on the way. Once in hand, dropping tanks and figuring out the pumps is next.

PiutePete

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
WillyPete
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
454 Cubic Inch
All,

For a clean forum I am moving over to "Babe the Blue Ox's build page" in the under construction section of "4wd Pick-Ups K/V 20 2500 K/V 30 3500".

See you there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HomespunLobster