89 454 tbi wont run right

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
So I've done some searching. I guess the pushrods are either in the oil pan or the lifter valley. I had a couple buddys who said the have to be in the valley cant be in the oil pan and a couple that said the exact opposite. Well i started pulling the intake and desided to look in though the head with a light and can see one bent rod laying in there so i hope the other one in there too. Prob get it pulled off on satuday.

Now the why it bent them from what I could fine it could be caused by a collapsed lifter, stuck valve or the rockers being to tight. Could the cam be worn down and that do it also? It dont have many miles on the cam so i Don't thinks that's the issue. Don't know if I said but engine has 1600000. Hoping it's not stuck valve that's means a complete head job right? How do i check to see if they are stuck? What else do i check?

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Wut.

Huh.

If you're missing PUSHRODS , it's because somebody chose to remove them.
That is a VERY short list of suspects!

You are better off trusting the strangers on the internet you crossed paths with in the GMSB forum.

Rusty I agree with that last part forsure that's why I'm a member on here. All you guy have some awesome builds and lots of good ideas about upgrades and fixing issues from your time working on these trucks! And I thank you for any knowledge you share!

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Did you check that bulb and those two fuses to see what your ECM situation is?

Finally had some time to work on the truck and get on here and post the bulb was burned out so i got that fix. Hope thats not a bad sign that is has been on a lot

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
I also got the intake off and look what I found push rods! Hoping this didn't do any major damage to the engine. I found a couple holes in the head where I think the push rod chipped it out what do you think? So the lobes on the cam seem fine I know it has a least 15000 miles on it but not much more from what the po told me. He replaced it with a comp u cam he said it was a 255 duration didn't know the lift. 3 lifters going out seems a bit much and they weren't wore to much dont think I took a pic of the bottom of them. The rockers are roller rockers from comp cams 1.7 which from what I found is a stock ratio. I also used a piece of flat stock with a hole in it to push down on the valves make sure they weren't suck. The only thing I came up with is the rockers being to loose. A few of them when the cam lobe is all the way down you can move the push rods and almost pull them out the the rocker. You think that would do it? I drained the oil to see if there was metal in it and I seen some but I didn't see a ton

You must be registered for see images attach

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
The holes that dont look like they should be here. I think it will be ok still but hoping someone will have some advice for me.

ajd89

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Well darn was hoping someone would have had this issue before or know what caused this but maybe not think I'm gonna see if a mechanic I know will come take a look before I go putting it back together just to make sure I'm on the right path hate to get it together and have same think happen. Maybe its just time for a ls swap!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody