factory tach wont work with ls swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dangOl'dodge

Reaction score
First Name
C
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
4.3 tbi
hey guys,

last year I swapped my 87c10 with a 4.8 vortec/4l60e.
I am now in the process of nv4500 swapping the tranny.
before I install the tranny id like to get the tachometer working from a 1988 gmc 7000. I think it was a diesel truck it only reads 4000rpm on the tach. either way I just took the entire cluster out of the 7000 and put it in the c10. everything works except the tach.

I have the tach high and low res output set to 3 in hp tuners. I also tried wiring and 1k and 10k resistor between the 12v and signal wire.. still nothing.

I can see the tach move slightly when I start the truck. if I rev it up the tach will go up to about 100 rpm or so.. cant get any more out of it.. any ideas?

the tach has 3 wires coming out of it so I doubt the printed circuit board would even play a part in a tach not working? its wired to 12v battery, ground battery and the signal hooked up to the white wire on pin 10 of the c2 connector from the ls computer. I cant get a ohm reading with my multi meter on this wire but it is showing 4.1 volts at idle

RetroC10Sport

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
pontiac aztek
Engine Size
Diesels get their reading from the alternator rather than the coil might be the problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
satansdad