Extremely High Idle...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Alrighty guys, been off for a minute or two. Sold my blue K10 but just couldn't stay away it seems. Recently bought another K10. 1985 Chevy Silverado K10 to be exact with supposedly a "just rebuilt" 350/ 350 combo. Needed to be timed when I bought it so I took it to auto at school and timed it with the help of my teach. Senior in high school btw. Got the life shocked outta me from the distributer while changing the timing. New spark plug wires? Did that and it just didn't feel right- didn't sound right. 4*BTC I think we set it at. Drove it back home, had it sit about two days and went out to start it up.

Electric fuel pump Started up and the thing is idling at around 1200 RPMs! Dropped into gear and it immediately dropped down to around 600ish but I can't tell you exactly as my tach was messing up. Now idk if the distributer somehow got rotated or what but I need help.

Gonna take it to an actual mechanic and see what he says. If it can be fixed by me/ for cheap then I'll keep her. Just gonna have to see. Now it's an Edelbrock 1406 with electric choke, Edelbrock Performer Intake, Mallory Ignition Distributer??? and whatever else. Thought it could possibly be idle control on the Carb but never messed with carbs really and don't feel to comfortable with it and besides, I'd rather fix the problem instead of putting a band aid on it. Idk how it could change like that on its own either. Any advice for a young gun like me? Once I figure out how to post pics from mobile I'll give y'all some.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
Here we go- Current 1985 Chevy Silverado K10...

"Rebuilt 350"

Edelbrock Performer Intake...
Never heard of this distributer...

Edelbrock 1406

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Love them rims!!!! I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that’s just a Mallory coil. If you got zapped your wires are crap or your coil is cracked. Did you properly tighten down the distributor? It could of moved on ya if not.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Yep, I'd check that timing again. I'd also like to know what the vacuum reading is on it. I had something similar happen to me and the carb bolts had backed out, and air was getting sucked in under the carb. A lot of air. I don't know what to tell you on the curb idle speed for that carb. I could tell you if it was a Q-Jet or a Holley, but I've never fooled with those so a seasoned Eddy veteran would be your guy on that. Was it doing this when you bought it? Or did you make some changes, and then it started doing this?

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Love them rims!!!! I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that’s just a Mallory coil. If you got zapped your wires are crap or your coil is cracked. Did you properly tighten down the distributor? It could of moved on ya if not.
Thanks on the wheels, I really like them too, simple yet it gives a killer look. It's a possibility that it had moved, was doing some hunting for a any vacuume lines that may have came off and was messing around back there. Only thing those it that it wasn't doing the high idle when I parked it. Sat for about two day, went to start it up and there was the problem. I'll check the distributer here in a few. It's literally freezing out here and Gerogia ain't used to it. Not agreeing with us very much

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yep, I'd check that timing again. I'd also like to know what the vacuum reading is on it. I had something similar happen to me and the carb bolts had backed out, and air was getting sucked in under the carb. A lot of air. I don't know what to tell you on the curb idle speed for that carb. I could tell you if it was a Q-Jet or a Holley, but I've never fooled with those so a seasoned Eddy veteran would be your guy on that. Was it doing this when you bought it? Or did you make some changes, and then it started doing this?
l'all defiantly check the timing again for sure but idk how it could suddenly happen. I had let it sit for about two days, went to fire it up and it presented itself- wasn't doing the high idle when I parked it. Never done an actual vacume reading before so I guess I'll check that out on YouTube some. Didn't do it when I bought it but it did need the timing adjust as it pre-detonated around 3,000 RPM's. Needless to say I didn't drive over 2,500RPM's lol. Depending upon the mechanic says and my opinion is what's gonna determine whether I keep the truck or not. It's a straight body with no rust and that's what really sold me on it. Here's ya a couple more pics...

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
If I had that, I'd keep it. It's a good looking truck. I'd do something different with the nuts and bolts of the engine setup. I like just a regular Delco-Remy distributor, a Thermac air cleaner, and a Quadrajet, but I'd keep the intake. All that other stuff to me is just cliche engine dress up. Otherwise, I'd run with it. What happened to your other truck? I like your state, by the way. I've visited thrice. I was in the Chickamauga area like nine years ago, and I went to Atlanta and Oxford to tour Emory and Emory of Oxford when I was a senior, and I went a few months later on a physics trip to Six Flags. I only lived four hours from Atlanta then so it wasn't bad.

Oh, and here's how to analyze a vacuum gauge. It can tell you a lot of stuff.

Last edited:

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Where would i hook the vaccum gauge on a 94' tbi 350. Id like to do a test.

Ashton84W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ashton
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
If I had that, I'd keep it. It's a good looking truck. I'd do something different with the nuts and bolts of the engine setup. I like just a regular Delco-Remy distributor, a Thermac air cleaner, and a Quadrajet, but I'd keep the intake. All that other stuff to me is just cliche engine dress up. Otherwise, I'd run with it. What happened to your other truck? I like your state, by the way. I've visited thrice. I was in the Chickamauga area like nine years ago, and I went to Atlanta and Oxford to tour Emory and Emory of Oxford when I was a senior, and I went a few months later on a physics trip to Six Flags. I only lived four hours from Atlanta then so it wasn't bad.

Oh, and here's how to analyze a vacuum gauge. It can tell you a lot of stuff.

Ha I'd keep it to if she runs right. Engine setup was done by previous owner "supposedly" but we shall see. I paid a decent penny for this truck expecting it to be flawless minus the timing and I don't need any problems from it. I am thinking of at least a Holley as I've been told they are easier to work with- kinda plug and play.

Had an 84' K10 pretty similar but blue, lifted 4 inches on 35's and a sweet roll bar and KC Light setup in the bed. Didn't have any problems from it for about 6 months after I bought it. Suddenly my water pump went out on me and without a temp gauge I didn't notice. The water pump subsequently had overheated the trans and lost it (700R4). That's where my problems started and pretty much didn't end. Somebody had put some money into that thing somewhere along the line but it was just one thing after another. Finally I called it quits after my rear u-joint snapped on me going about 65mph. The end had hit something either the road or the frame and sent that force down the driveshaft into the transfer case. Literally pulled the transfercase off the output shaft on the transmission and completely unthreaded those four bolts holding the two together. Couldn't take it any more. Posted it for sell and said my goodbyes...

Thanks for the compliment on the state but it's either hot and humid as hell with a slight jungle effect of sweat going on here or below freezing as it has been the last month give or take. Haven't had a winter this cold in quite some time and it's just a no go... I'm actually about an hour and a half from Atlanta just to the west. Hate Atlanta with a passion. Or well certain parts. I plan on attending UNG so no need to worry about any of that fancy smanshy stuff. Anyways yeah I'd like to keep it for sure, just gonna have to see. Didn't buy it just to sell it again:-0
and thanks for the chart. Haven't had a second to look up how it's done just yet but I'll be sure to.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Holley's good. If all the Quadrajets went extinct, that's what I'd defer to. And I understand not wanting to throw everything at the truck. Especially considering that you had so many issues with the other one. Even a few issues are stressful and upsetting to me. I'd be breaking stuff if it was one thing after another like that. It definitely felt that way when I first bought my Jimmy. I paid a pretty penny for it a week out of high school, and the motor burnt up in it three hours from home on the way home. I had a lot of little bugs that kept happening after I had spent all that money, and it almost wore me down, but I got sentimental with it pretty quick so parting ways never grew more than a thought. I'm glad I stuck with it, too. When my car's on the operating table, I'll just switch over and daily the truck. It turned out to be super reliable, and it's like a son to me if you can believe that.

I feel you on the weather. Mississippi is the exact same way. Miserable in the summer and mostly miserable in the winter. New Orleans is less fickle. Unbelievably hot and humid (miserable) from about May to the end of October, and then it's actually not too bad the other months. This winter has been particularly cold, but it's usually the second best place to spend winter east of the Mississippi besides the non panhandle part of Florida. I'll bet it's nice up at UNG. I've got a best friend at the University of the South in Sewanee, TN, and she thinks it's great.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
If it’s carb problems and it’s a Edelturd or slobberjet, put it in its place and get a Holley or a FI set up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1975K20