Expedition vehicle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rollin_Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
So has anyone turned their square into an expedition vehicle? I was browsing the web and watching top gear (the british version) and got an idea from their Christmas special were they did a wise man journey from Iraq to Israel. Rather than doing a restoration I was thinking a expeditionary vehicle that could take me to random places and be livable. Any thoughts or advice?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Some of those people go all out with the luxuries. IMHO, it doesn't take much to have an expedition vehicle. Blazer, Suburban, or pickup with a cap sealed to the bed. Add a 4 inch lift, 33-35" radial type MT's, roof rack, full size spare and whatever camping supplies you would normally have. Large fuel tank or dual tanks too. Some kind of on-board air compressor would be good to. Don't forget tools and spare parts, but I feel you should have those on any long trip anyway.

Rollin_Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
I guess you do have a point. Now that I think about it 4 wheel drive should be able to take you anywhere you really want to go.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
I have seen some cool overland vehicles on another forum, check out Reno4x4.com and check out what some of those guys have. I dig the idea, highly mobile camping vehicle, I think a K series truck with a slide in camper would be perfect for that sorta thing.

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
V8
My plan was to turn mine into one.. I've seen a couple others before, but really only ONE that truly is used as an expedition vehicle.. and BOY is it sick.

All credit to Larry (not sure if he is on this forum, but I know of his vehicle from an Expedition centered forum I'm on).

You must be registered for see images attach

Photo Gallery Here

His truck is the epitome of inspiration for me.. :drool:

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
An old Cut V lengthened a little would be more practical. Unles you want to get really jiggy, and do a custom IFS and IRS for more ground clearance, and a good low center of gravity.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
That's bad ass.

Boondock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 cu. in. (5.7L)
That truck is just so damn sexy... The things I'd do to have the money he's put into it... Just so I can put it into mine. >_<

Chevrolado

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
V8
Hahah. Serious man.. That truck is beautiful. I want my truck to someday be HALF of that truck... sheesh.

Rollin_Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
Yeah, that's what I'm looking to do with mine. Although I didn't start with a CUCV I work in a place with a lot of them around. We have a bone yard so maybe the motorpool sergeant won't mind getting rid of some stuff. I want something to just go away and stay for a week or more. I could only imagine how much fun it would be to have that 8.1 in my truck. I keep thinking 12 valve Cummins though for it's fuel efficiency.

Stroked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yea, I've seen Larry's truck on another forum I'm on. I love it :drool::drool::drool:

I think it'd be awesome to build something like that, but I'd mostly use it for going to the lake. I'd have to drive a loooong ways to go on any expeditions.

N2TRUBL

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 4x4 lwb
Engine Size
Awesome truck. I like this site already!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistafishe