Exhaust y pipe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seabee

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Is the exhaust y pipe for a 305 the same as one for 350 ? I’m restoring my 87 and would like to go back to the stock exhaust . Old y pipe is long gone (dual exhaust with flow masters) . Walker exhaust makes y pipe for 350 but not 305 . Thanks

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
Which one were you looking at? Walker 40259 shows that it fits both. Why are you switching back if you don’t mind my asking? A lot of people would do the opposite by keeping the duals and doing headers. I understand if you’re doing an OEM type resto, but impeding the exhaust will reduce performance.

seabee

Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Trying to put it back as close to original as I can . Flow masters are to loud in my old age . I’d like to try and make it look and sound like when I first bought it in 1988 . I emailed walker and was told they did not offer y pipe for 305 TBI . Thanks

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
Cross reference the manifold part numbers for the 305 and the 350 just to be safe. I have seen both style manifolds used without rhyme or reason.
If the manifolds are the same, you are good to go.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Honestly you would be better off taking it to an exhaust shop and having them build you one correctly instead of the way gm made them back then.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Single exhaust will not impede performance, I have not noticed any loss of power with single exhaust. The scavenging effect is what helps the engine breathe. Granted the exhaust needs to be properly sized whether it's dual or single. If it's dual an h-pipe or x-pipe adds the scavenging effect back into the system. As @4WDKC mentioned, an exhaust shop may be the best route to take for a y-pipe, but be sure to ask how they make them/route them. I took in my truck to have the exhaust done, and the y-pipe they made was a pile of crap. Sure, they thought it was great because it wrapped around the front of the oil pan between the cross member and then y'd into the collector they made alongside the transmission, and cut my frame because the new pipe was close, yet there was a stamped-in high point for the pipe go under, they just didn't route it under that point. It got in the way of preventative maintenance things, like changing the oil filter and oil, the starter, etc. It looked cool, but I ended up taking it to another shop to have them make a better y-pipe. The original shop just wanted to argue with me that their y-pipe configuration wouldn't cause any harm to the brake fluid because the pipe was within a 1/2 inch from the brake lines. I told them that was a bunch of crap, my truck is not a trailer queen and I don't want the brakes failing because of boiling brake fluid while hauling a load. It may not have happened, but I wasn't going to take any chances. They also didn't see an issue of changing the oil and letting oil drain on the pipe because it would burn off. A stock y-pipe routing is definitely best. The attached photo is not from my truck, they routed it to the other side on mine, but it shows exactly what you don't want in a y-pipe.

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taco main chew