evaporator replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
1986 c 10 how to replace evaporator core

animal

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 silverado
Engine Size
350ish
I move this to the heat and A/C section for better visibility

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
It’s pretty straightforward. You just need to unbolt the case, crack it open, undo the lines, and pull it on out. Make sure the case is clean, and reinstall everything. You’ll want to make sure that the case is sealed properly so you don’t lose cooling efficiency, especially where the lines go into it. If you need to use a sealant, I don’t think that’d be a bad idea. I use it where there’re gaps, holes, or cracks in the plastic. If it’s for sure your culprit, it maybe a good idea to go ahead and replace the orifice tube and accumulator since the system is/will be open. Is this where your dye is showing up at for sure? If it’s not leaking, it’s best to leave it there unless it’s obstructed, and you could always try flushing it if that’s the case.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
I used this to reseal my case. Works great. If it starts getting too sticky or you want to smooth the finish a little just put some water on your finger.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

richard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
Do any of the case bolts come from inside of truck can you just split case from out side

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Do any of the case bolts come from inside of truck can you just split case from out side

I removed the side closest to the engine and I may have had to loosen the bolts on the other side of the case so I had some more movement. My passenger inner fender well was already out of the truck for R&R. I see you have a small block, so you may not have to loosen the larger side of the case. You have to be careful though, I did crack the bottom by the exhaust manifold and had to make a fiberglass repair. Luckily it's out of view.

I did not have to go under the dash for this. If you need to do the heater core, then the whole box has to be removed from the inside of the cab.

richard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
richard
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
383 stroker
Thank You to all

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
When I updated my v-belt to Serp I replaced all the major components. The original A/C compressor was on it's last leg so it was a good time to change.
No need go under the dash as mentioned previously. I also changed the evaporator/accumulator, orifice tube, condenser, A/C lines and of course the compressor.
I also added some compressor oil PAG 150 with Ice 32 additive. Not sure if this made a difference or the combination of all new parts but the A/C system is good or better than any other car I own.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne