engine missing after new intake gasket install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MickA

Reaction score
First Name
michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hi All, I need some advise on what to do next.
I recently replaced the intake manifold gasket, to correct an oil leak at the back of the engine. I put everything back together and it fired up and idled as normal. I took it for a short drive and it suddenly lost power and it sounded like it miss fired, and continued to run that way.

I turned it off then tried to start it again and it made a horrible grinding noise and idled up and down almost stalling. I removed the plugs and found one to have the tip bent down to the electrode. I replaced all the plugs and still it doesn't want to start properly. When I give it some throttle it will start but only just. I took it for another drive and there is a squeak which sounds like a slipping belt coming from the engine itself.

My mechanic seems to think I have dropped something in the engine but i'm 99% that's not the case.

Any suggestions?

TIA

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Ya, accept the 1% possibility you dropped something down the engine.

DirtyDYT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
‘79
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Buy a cheap borescope/endoscope on Amazon and see what you can find. Plugs don’t do that on their own.

The only other explanation from the above I can think of is that someone installed incorrect plugs that protrude farther into the combustion chamber and kissed something they shouldn’t have. That’s really bad news too.

Backfoot100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500 Suburban
Engine Size
Carbed 350
Buy a cheap borescope/endoscope on Amazon and see what you can find. Plugs don’t do that on their own.

The only other explanation from the above I can think of is that someone installed incorrect plugs that protrude farther into the combustion chamber and kissed something they shouldn’t have. That’s really bad news too.

Agree with getting a cheap borescope. I hear that they're getting to be very reasonable. Probably should invest in one myself.
As to the longer than normal plug possibility....could be a reasonable assumption but my thinking is that more than one cylinder would be affected if that truly happened.
Maybe pull the valve cover off really quick and see if theres anything obvious with the valves for that cylinder. Maybe a spring keeper let go and dropped a valve?

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
It sounds like something dropped in that cylinder. I'm going to second getting a borescope from Amazon or someplace where maybe you can return it if you dont have a need to keep it. Also pull the valve cover as mentioned and examine the valvetrain over the cylinder with the bent plug.

Prepare yourself for a teardown.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Check your Craftsman socket set and see if your missing a 19mm socket. Dead giveaway.

QBuff02

I like Big Blocks and I cannot lie
Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Check your Craftsman socket set and see if your missing a 19mm socket. Dead giveaway.

I thought it was always the damn 10mm socket that sneaks off into hiding?! Lol

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I had the bright idea to magnetize my sockets and screwdrivers to make getting things started in tight places a little easier. Now I'm missing half my **** because they're stuck to the frame, radiator support and other places I set them.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I thought it was always the damn 10mm socket that sneaks off into hiding?! Lol

Lol, I once found a 10mm deep well socket inside of a header primary tube. Having known the guy that put the engine in the car, it wasn't really a big surprise :rofl:

QBuff02

Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
Lol, I once found a 10mm deep well socket inside of a header primary tube. Having known the guy that put the engine in the car, it wasn't really a big surprise :rofl:

:shrug: :doh2:

QBuff02

Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I had the bright idea to magnetize my sockets and screwdrivers to make getting things started in tight places a little easier. Now I'm missing half my **** because they're stuck to the frame, radiator support and other places I set them.

That's just guaranteeing that you're well prepared in the event of a breakdown..
:driver:

Crispy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban V1500
Engine Size
I found a 10 mm ratcheting wrench in the bumper of a car I was working on once. I said a prayer and lit a candle thanking the wrench gods for the bounty laid upon me.

QBuff02

Reaction score
First Name
Quincy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
I found a 10 mm ratcheting wrench in the bumper of a car I was working on once. I said a prayer and lit a candle thanking the wrench gods for the bounty laid upon me.

:king:

Unicorn! haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aaron06