Engine keeps dying at random

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnyz453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
:shrug: recently I got the truck running again. Replaced the whole ignition system, a fuel filter, and sending unit. Was driving perfectly fine and when I pulled into school and started backing into my parking spot it died. Won't start again. Anyone know what the problem could be?

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Bad battery connection. Either at the battery or at the starter/ground.

Does it crank?

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
Check to see if you are getting:

1. Fuel at the carb. Could have a fuel pump problem or clogged fuel tank pickup

2. Power to the dizzy.

3. Spark from the dizzy to the plugs

Johnnyz453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Check to see if you are getting:

1. Fuel at the carb. Could have a fuel pump problem or clogged fuel tank pickup

2. Power to the dizzy.

3. Spark from the dizzy to the plugs

Getting all of those. I have a 600cfm edelbrock carb on it with a built motor. I think it might be flooding out if I don't get on the gas for awhile like when rolling through a parking lot. Has a clear distributor so I know I'm getting spark

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Getting all of those. I have a 600cfm edelbrock carb on it with a built motor. I think it might be flooding out if I don't get on the gas for awhile like when rolling through a parking lot. Has a clear distributor so I know I'm getting spark

So does it die like it just shut off or does it sputter out and blow black smoke? Can you catch it and keep it running my opening the throttle? How do you get it restarted?

Johnnyz453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So does it die like it just shut off or does it sputter out and blow black smoke? Can you catch it and keep it running my opening the throttle? How do you get it restarted?

Only has happened once before. It will just instantly cutoff. No sputter or anything

da_raabi

Trailer Park Supervisor
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
c30
Engine Size
That really sounds like an electrical issue to me. If it were fuel-related it would cause physical issues like smoke, knocking, sputtering, etc etc. You'd know it is my point. Even a failed fuel pump would not just "shut-off" the engine. I'm thinking you may have a problem in the ignition circuit, possibly the ignition switch or something in between.

What you describe really does sound electrical to me.

Johnnyz453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That really sounds like an electrical issue to me. If it were fuel-related it would cause physical issues like smoke, knocking, sputtering, etc etc. You'd know it is my point. Even a failed fuel pump would not just "shut-off" the engine. I'm thinking you may have a problem in the ignition circuit, possibly the ignition switch or something in between.

What you describe really does sound electrical to me.

I think its flooding. Only happens really when you dont touch the gas for awhile. I just replaced all the eletrical so i dont know how it could be that.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I think its flooding. Only happens really when you dont touch the gas for awhile. I just replaced all the eletrical so i dont know how it could be that.

Well since you just touched the ignition stuff it's still possible to be the culprit. What happens when it does does your dash and lights still work when it dies? Do you get a strong smell of gas after it happens? If not then i doubt it's flooding. Possibly vaporlocking.

Johnnyz453

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Well since you just touched the ignition stuff it's still possible to be the culprit. What happens when it does does your dash and lights still work when it dies? Do you get a strong smell of gas after it happens? If not then i doubt it's flooding. Possibly vaporlocking.

All lights work. Had a friend thats a mecanic test everything yesterday. Its loosing power somewhere in the distributor at random. Still getting constant power going into the distributor even when it kills the engine.

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
All lights work. Had a friend thats a mecanic test everything yesterday. Its loosing power somewhere in the distributor at random. Still getting constant power going into the distributor even when it kills the engine.

So your saying you have confirmed a no spark condition right after it
dies? If so, how did you confim no spark? What do you do to get it restarted?

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Also please list out what parts have been replaced.

stlbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
bobby
Truck Year
91'
Truck Model
k3500 4x4 Burban'
Engine Size
You said it turns over freely..?? Try the ign module first GM's are bad for those.BUT most times the are either dead or they are not.I did automotive forever and id say maybe 3 times i have seen an intermittent module failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia