Engine identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
Hoping to do a little digging. A few months ago I was digging through my late uncles yard, he was a mad car guy. Stumbled across some motors and picked one to try to identify. After initial faliure I snagged these 3 pics and left, haven't gotten to go back since. Next time I go I'd like to know what I'm looking at lol, maybe take it home to put in my truck, here's the pics. ANY INFO would help greatly, honestly im not even sure its chevy

You must be registered for see images attach

RustyPile

Left on own accord
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Damn it I missed the oil canister......
According to the partial VIN numbers, the engine was actually built at the Flint, MI plant in 1956 and attached to a powerglide transmission.. 3.875 (3 7/8') bore would be a 283.. I stand to be corrected on this next tidbit.. 3.750 (3 3/4') bore is a 265.. Because of the heavy wall castings, many 265s were bored 1/8" to make it a 283..

RustyPile

Left on own accord
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Damn it I missed the oil canister......
Well, you can't be expected to see everything.. 1958 was the first year for side placement engine mounts.. What other significant event occurred at Chevrolet that year??

Obwonkonobe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ethan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 custom deluxe
Engine Size
That's more than I could have EVER found lol thank you. It just so happens that he has a 57 bel air in his backyard too, and a powerglide. I bet he updated the drive train and kept those. Is there any way to tell if they are original to the car?

RustyPile

Left on own accord
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
The "W" engine appeared.. :D
With Donkey **** being the resident big block expert, I was hoping he would jump in first with the answer.. Even though Chevrolet made some major frame and chassis changes, the Impala was just an upgraded Bel Air.. The "W" engine was the first big block.. Canted and offset valves, large (for it's day) displacement, factory tri-carbs.. The engine with the funny valve covers ushered in the muscle car production a few years later..

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
With Donkey **** being the resident big block expert, I was hoping he would jump in first with the answer.. Even though Chevrolet made some major frame and chassis changes, the Impala was just an upgraded Bel Air.. The "W" engine was the first big block.. Canted and offset valves, large (for it's day) displacement, factory tri-carbs.. The engine with the funny valve covers ushered in the muscle car production a few years later..
Do they called it the "W" because of the shape of valve covers?? Like so.....

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
I didn’t want to take all the thunder lol I had a 348 in my SS not original but it was dressed like a 409

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
There's something else that's unique about them that's different to any other V8. :D

RustyPile

Left on own accord
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
That's more than I could have EVER found lol thank you. It just so happens that he has a 57 bel air in his backyard too, and a powerglide. I bet he updated the drive train and kept those. Is there any way to tell if they are original to the car?

All the alpha-numeric digits before the first "F" in the engine ID number stamped on the pad are referred to as "partial VIN".. These digits will appear, in the same order, on the VIN tag along with some additional numbers.. If that engine came from the '57 you mentioned, the "Partial VIN" on it will "match" the full VIN on the tag located on the driver's side A pillar.. There are no numbers to "match" on the transmission.. What identifies the power glide as belonging to a '5-6-7 are the mounting bosses on the bell housing.. Those cars used a 4 point mounting system.. Two at the front on those "L" brackets and two more on the bell housing.. The transmission case is cast iron and has no provision for a cross member/ mount.. It just hangs off the back of the engine..

Something you might be interested in knowing.. Chevrolet no longer casts engine blocks without those mounting bosses.. The purist restorers would give their left nut and their first born for that block.. If it turns out, that your block and that '57 Bel Air "match", you have a very valuable combination.. Never separate them..

If it's a "true" 283 and not a bored out 265, (casting numbers will tell the story)the block can be safely bored to 4".. This will make it a 301 cu. in. An early small journal 327 crankshaft will fit.. You'll then have a 327 that, for all practical purposes, appears to be a "numbers matching" 283.. Given similar vehicle size and weight, A well built 327 will walk right up and snatch the panties right off a 350... I know, I did it for years on the race tracks of Southeast Texas...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tweeter68