Engine Bay Clean Up & Charcoal Canister Removal Help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
I'm cleaning my engine bay out of all un needed stuff the a/c parts were bad so I all ready removed the lines/ condenser /accumulator / pump. The smog parts are all removed ( don't need for inspection here) and I have a edelbrock carb.
My question is the charcoal canister can I remove that and if so what should I do with the hose from the fuel sys? I'm trying to go with as less stuff as I need in engine compartment.

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
Just cut the hose way back and stick a bolt in the end to plug it. All that does is route any gasoline vapors generated within the tank (on hot days while not running) up to the canister. When the engine starts the carb pulls the hydrocarbons out of the charcoal and sends them to the cylinders to be burned.

With the hose plugged, any excess pressure within the tank will just vent out of the gas cap.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Just cut the hose way back and stick a bolt in the end to plug it. All that does is route any gasoline vapors generated within the tank (on hot days while not running) up to the canister. When the engine starts the carb pulls the hydrocarbons out of the charcoal and sends them to the cylinders to be burned.

With the hose plugged, any excess pressure within the tank will just vent out of the gas cap.

Yup...un needed stuff. SMH

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Ok i heard that pluggin the line might cause issues with adding gas to the fuel tank?
I got one line near the canister with a vented cap on it and the other line is still attached to canister can i just cut and cap that or do i have to vent that one also?

I attached some pics

Attachments

• IMG_20140310_153056.jpg
    IMG_20140310_153056.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 1,089
  • IMG_20140310_153106.jpg
    IMG_20140310_153106.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 960

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
That canister hasn't "collected" any vapors in a long time by the looks of it. The only hose still hooked up is the vent from the gas tank - everything else is open to atmosphere. So any vapor that does flow to the canister (by pressure within the tank) just dumps out through the cut off hoses.

That hose with the breather cap on the end is the vent for your front differential - leave it be. Matter of fact pop the breather and make sure it's actually "breathing".

You could break the seal on the canister top cap, shake out the charcoal and use it to store some small hand tools for emergency repairs. Or you could put some ice in there and chill down your beer.

Ok i heard that pluggin the line might cause issues with adding gas to the fuel tank?

Nah, the tank vent to the vapor canister is not at all involved in purging air during fueling. There is a dedicated vent line for fueling - it is a 1/2" line that runs parallel to the gas tank fill line and terminates just under the gas cap.

gearheadmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra K2500
Engine Size
Ok thanks guys! Got it off today looks a lot better I was able to remove the hose from the steel line and just cap it there. Now to clean up the wiring under the hood that ought to be fun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mikejeden