easiest way to install aftermarket gauges?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oregon78k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 V8
So I'm fixing up my k10 and since its winter time I figured id start with the inside first.. so I decided to start with my gauges. Now is there a harness I can plug into my factory plug to wire up new gauges or do I just have to cut and splice?

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
There is not a plug on the market to plug up to the harness. You can purcahse plg bodies and build your own, which I would recommend. The idea of unplugging all those wires one at a time is enough to make you want to drive a Ford.

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
It would be easiest to get a wiring diagram for your truck so you know what factory wires go to what senor and are used for what gauge. That way you only have to re-wire things behind the dash for the gauges you plan to put in. I wouldn't bother trying to re-wire the factory plug. Just cut it off leaving enough wire so if you ever want to put your truck back to stock it should be a relatively easy job to re-wire the plug back in.

edit: Should probably note that even when you are changing out factory gauges, depending on the cluster you are going to re-pinning of the plug is required in a lot of instances. Not sure if that applies, but I thought it was a nice foot-note for possible future references.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You can also put the aftermarket gauges right in your original cluster trim bezel, however it is a very tedious job to make it look good. It can be very tricky getting the holes trimmed just perfect so the gauge face points upward enough to easily read it.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Yeah, that looks hokey in my opinion. I don't like the random plate that's just screwed on there to mount the gauges, but that's just my own personal taste. What really bothers me is the gauge faces that point down at the driver's own belt buckle. It's no very obvious with that person just holding it up for a pic, but when installed in the truck and you sitting in the seat, it's very obvious.

Oregon78k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 V8
What about this? Basically the same thing I guess
You must be registered for see images attach

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have seen many trucks with similar mounting methods as those. I actually passed on buying a decent play truck because it had gauges like that in it. They are pointed at your stomach in that configuration and awkward to look at. No way I could have lived with it.

Don't get me wrong here. If that's what you want to do, DO IT!!! I would advise however to NOT alter the original stuff you take out of your truck. If you decide you don't like that mounting style you can always go back to stock again.

On another side note, 160MPH and 10,000RPM? Lots of wasted sweep those gauges are never going to see.

Oregon78k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 V8
Oh no I love the input.. and I'm sure it would bother me as well...is there a way to fix that?

Green79Scottsdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
...is there a way to fix that?

Of course there is! How good are you with sheet metal?!? At one point I had thought about fabbing up panels that re-created the angle the factory gauges are on. My idea involved making some tubular mounting tubes that I could set to the angles I liked, and then grafting them to some sheet metal. I did not do it because it was not going to be worth the time and hassle.

One thing you might be able to do however, is to find a housing with no gauges and mount the aftermarket ones in it. That way you can have the actual gauges be aftermarket, but still retain and original viewing angles and bezel.

Oregon78k10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
350 V8
.also thought making diamond plate bezel would look awesome as well

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Oh no I love the input.. and I'm sure it would bother me as well...is there a way to fix that?

That's what I was talking about earlier, using the original bezel to mount the gauges in. It's tedious to trim it out just right so the gauges point up, but it can be done. I did this with a trans temp gauge down in the lower left hole.

Or you could use the mounting panel like above, but mount the gauges with angled rings that can be bought for the gauge manufacturers.

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Here is my setup, aftermarket gauges installed in the factory housing. The angle is close but not perfect.

This is what is going to replace them if I ever get time to install them.

AJII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
AJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Where did you get the gauges you plan to install? I like!

Here's mine

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76