Drop questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DarthKnight84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado C10
Engine Size
Looking to drop my daily either 3/5 or 4/6. I'm good with either a flip kit or piecing one together. I've read that DJM is no good and mcgaughys is no bueno with my stock 15s. Eventually I'd like to grab some 17s, but until then I'm looking to drop it. While I'm under there I was wondering if the tubular control arms are worth buying? I plan to replace all the tie rods and ball joints. I don't think pitman arms are necessary. I'll probably do a new sway bar too. I did see a rack and pinion brothers trucks is selling, didn't know if that was worth the $$ or not too. I don't think I've ever heard of anyone running one yet or not.
I'm on a budget so my list is new tires, brakes and accessories, suspension. Just want to get a good list going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I just dropped the front of my 82 C10 using Western Chassis 2.5" spindles for 1.25" wide rotors. The inner rim lip of a stock 8"x15" rally wheel clears the lower A-arm by approx 3/8". I'm not sure this is the case with the spindles for 1.00" rotors. Watch Western's eBay store for sales. I got mine for $239 including shipping, but they changed that deal literally the next day!

As for Pitman and idler arms, you can remove the studs from the center link and see how tight they feel. You may also want to at least visually inspect your control arm bushings. If they are worn out, they can affect steering as much as bad tie rod ends and ball joints. I ended up replacing mine with poly bushings from Energy Suspension. It's a very tough job to do, but I am amazed at the improvements in steering response and ride.

I'd also suggest Moog parts, which are reasonably priced at Summit Racing and RockAuto.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
77MarshallR