Door seal question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burban1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
Rear driver side door on my suburban has slight leak. The seal around the door looks fine but it's obviously not keeping out the water. My question is is there any trick to getting these to seal or am I just better off replacing it which I'm opposed of. Just entering the raining season here in the pnw so I thought maybe somebody might know of a quick fix.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
There might be some sort of trick to it, but at the end of the day it's a 30 year old piece of rubber. You can try adjusting your striker to make the door close a little tighter, but that most likely won't solve the issue and can even mess up the look of your body lines a little if the door is sucked in much farther.

Realistically it's dry and hard, been through hot and cold over and over since 1990. You wouldn't be surprised if a 30 year old tire didn't preform well. Also being a rear door it gets used less so it doesn't get "massaged" as much as the front, making it stiffer too. I know you don't want to, but replacing them is your best bet, I know new rubber made a world of difference in my truck. Out of curiosity, why are you against the idea of replacement? They're relatively inexpensive when bought as a set, and are not hard to change.

Burban1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
I figured as much just seeing if anybody had any tricks that I wasn't aware of thank you for your response.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
there's a guy in Sultan, WA that is a supplier for really good quality door rubber. He runs a business specifically sourcing parts and parting out squares. Its Mr' A's Chevy Truck Parts, you should give him a call and see what he has to help you out. 425-422-7345 or you can search for his facebook page. He's a member of the PNW K5 and Squarebody group on facebook and I've seen lots of good reviews for him but haven't gotten anything from him myself.

Burban1990

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
James
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban 2500
Engine Size
there's a guy in Sultan, WA that is a supplier for really good quality door rubber. He runs a business specifically sourcing parts and parting out squares. Its Mr' A's Chevy Truck Parts, you should give him a call and see what he has to help you out. 425-422-7345 or you can search for his facebook page. He's a member of the PNW K5 and Squarebody group on facebook and I've seen lots of good reviews for him but haven't gotten anything from him myself.

Awesome I'm definitely going to do that thank you for the info!

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
Try this if you're lookin' for a cheep fix:

Get a small bottle of Castor Oil. Pour it on a rag and wipe the dickens out of the seal.
Whatever you do, don't get it on your clothing.
Better still, wear gloves.

After an F-4 Phantom run we'd wipe the canopy seals with it to keep them soft and supple.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76