Dome light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khow47

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 3+3
Engine Size
1986 K30. I have, what I believe is am after market, dome light installed. Currently it as ha single, hot wire, running to it, so it is on at all times if connected. It's grounded by one of the mounting screws.

My under dash light operates as it should, when the headlight switch is rotated. There are two wires (orange and white) running to the under dash light. Both seem to have power with the switch on or off, so I can't pinpoint which one is turning the lamp on.

My question is, which wire do I need to run to my dome light to have it operates properly?

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
can we see the dome? maybe incorrectly wired cargo lamp switch?

khow47

Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 3+3
Engine Size
The dome like is the second picture with a single black wire running to it. The lamp itself does operate. But the wire running to it is a hot wire, and is not properly connected to the headlight switch. So it just stays on when the wire is connected.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Oh.. uh

LMC a new assembly for the OG, id do it for yourself. youve earned it

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
My question is, which wire do I need to run to my dome light to have it operates properly?

Both wires, to have it work correctly. Your truck should have a dome light that is not grounded at the base. The light you have is wrong.

You could make that light work if you went to a whole lot of trouble insulating the bulb ground. Not worth it.

@AuroraGirl has the right answer. Buy the correct light.

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
The hole in the side of your aftermarket dome light is probably where an on-off switch was. IIRC, the orange wire is the hot and the white is the ground. They also connect through switches in the door jamb. When the door opens, the ground closes, turning on the under-dash and dome light.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K5Chris