Delco stereo Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
New to me truck: I tried using a cassette/aux adapter in the stock Delco radio and the thing when a little haywire on me. first the tape wouldn't eject and once I pulled it out with a small screw driver, I couldn't switch back to the normal FM radio. It started making a clicking sound and does this whenever the unit is on. Has anyone encountered this and found a way to fix/rebuild it. I'd really like to keep the factory stereo if I can

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
New to me truck: I tried using a cassette/aux adapter in the stock Delco radio and the thing when a little haywire on me. first the tape wouldn't eject and once I pulled it out with a small screw driver, I couldn't switch back to the normal FM radio. It started making a clicking sound and does this whenever the unit is on. Has anyone encountered this and found a way to fix/rebuild it. I'd really like to keep the factory stereo if I can

The tape has to be fully ejected for AM/FM to happen on a Delco 2000 radio. Yours is the large, electronically tuning one, right? I would postulate that even though you somehow got it out, the tape deck is still engaged. What you're looking at is probably disassembling the radio and turning the gears that bring in/eject the tape to their at rest position so you can listen to regular radio. As far as repairs to make the tape deck eject/receive a tape, it's a belt, gears, and locking pins. You'd have to get in there and see what broke or what's messed up, but you should be able to see something. These radios are also notorious for loosing either the left or right side internal amps so you would only have the speakers on one side or the other working with others just crackling. There's an annoying circuit board in the side of it that's not the best in terms of those internal amps or solder joints holding up. I've had this radio apart to try and fix the internal amplifier stuff, and it's quite complex for what it is. I couldn't find where the fault was so I sent it mine to Factory Car Stereo Repair in Longwood, FL. I would do that if you're getting crackles and static from some of your speakers while others are working, but if it still sounds good, I'd try to tear into it and give it a good autopsy and revival. Fixing the tape deck portion should be a more universal job than what I was trying to do, especially after you get it open. I also have a service/repair manual for the old Delco 2000 and 2700 radios that I'd be willing to take pictures of, but it's in my car, which is parked well off campus. If you'd be willing to wait a few days, I can try to send you some pics. I do love these radios, though, so I'm glad you want to keep yours. Once I got mine working, it was really nice, and a fresh set of speakers makes driving two hours to and from school a lot more enjoyable.

Last edited:

Slooptin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vance
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
Pics would be great. It is the larger one too. I'll probably pop it out and take it apart in the next few days to look at it. As far as static is concerned, the stock speakers aren't in the best condition right now so I can't say for sure if there's any static coming out of it. I'm sure I'll find out if I can get it working again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SMC2224