Dash Pad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

85 C10

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Looking for a good dash pad. I have heard that the one from LMC fits poorly. I was wondering if anyone has used the one from Brothers? I was also thinking of dying my existing pad but am worried it will fade in a couple years. Any ideas

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
If your current OEM pad is in good shape - by all means keep it!

Any aftermarket pad cannot compare to original equipment - even if the OEM is old.

Use the procedure below to restore it and the color will last a long time. Hint: I have found that periodic application of Lemon Pledge works awesome. It will keep the surface looking great and extend the life of the plastic.

This is a re-post:

I just re-did a dash that I found for $40. It was frkin mint - but it was blue and I'm changing the truck over to black.

Used my normal method and it looks like factory black. My point is - if you find a good one of a different color, it can be painted:

Clean the surfaces meticulously with acetone or MEK (scrub the grain with a stiff nylon brush). Wash again with warm soap and water and rinse well.

The following all has to be done within an hour so have everything ready:

Two coats of SEM (or Duplicolor) plastic adhesion promoter. One light and the next wet - let it flash off between coats.

I used SEM to top coat but Duplicolor works as well (satin is better than trim black for the dash). Warm the can(s) in a sink of hot water before spraying. This produces a much nicer layer and also helps propel the paint.

The top coat must be applied within a half hour of the Adhesion Promoter or the paint will not bond and the dash will look like crap within two summers.

Attachments

• HPIM1246.jpg
    HPIM1246.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 101
  • HPIM1250.jpg
    HPIM1250.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 119
  • HPIM1242.jpg
    HPIM1242.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 94
  • HPIM1245.jpg
    HPIM1245.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 89
  • HPIM1249.jpg
    HPIM1249.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 107

1984dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
8.1L
Think you will find that the brothers dash is made by the same company as everybody else that sells them. Only one company makes them and sells them thru several dealers. None fit worth a crap.

85 C10

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Well dying my dash pad is out Mine is starting to lift and separate. Really need direction for a new one.

hinkv10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
There is a post somewhere here on recovering a dash with vinyl. Strip and sand it down to bare metal and then use foam padding and vinyl to recover it and hold it all down with contact cement. I can't find the link but I'm planning on doing mine in the next couple weeks. Bought maroon alligator skin vinyl to use. I'll post it up next month.

1911fool

Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350 growing up to a 454
Dashes Direct is the company that makes the urethane replacement dashes that don't fit so well. I used one in my previous '80 model and it did ok. It wasn't perfect, but it wasn't as bad as what everyone said.

Now Dashes Direct makes a vinyl covered steel dash like the original. I have not used one so I can't say as to how it fits. Just throwing the idea out there.

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
IM with hinkv10. That's what im gonna do with mine too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
derek87