damn you engine masters!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
one of the last parts I've yet to purchase for my truck's engine are the headers. I just can't make up my mind. I've run long tubes before with the 327. my issue was clearance to the front drive shaft. it was under 1/2" from collector to driveline. I also wasn't excited about them hanging below the bottom of the frame. I pulled them and got some shorties. I've read that some guys don't have this issue, but I'm assuming that different trans/t-case combos will change clearance.

I was all but decided on some stainless steel mid lengths until I watched an episode of Engine Masters last night. the hp and tq spread down low was significant between the mids and longs. now I'm questioning things again. since more tq and hp down low translates to driveability and likely mpg blah blah blah... the difference was their test engine had more hp than my vortec 350 will have, and therefore greater airflow requirements. maybe I would see as significant of a difference in a 350hp/400tq truck motor. on to the questions and setup:

I have an l31-r stock everywhere inside. it has a sniper efi kit. I'm not sure if the wide band o2 sensor being further or closer to the exhaust port would make any significant difference, but they have instructions on how close to the collector the wbo2 sensor should be. so obviously the bung would be further from the exhaust port on the long tubes. trans is a t-400hd and t-case is a 208. I'd like to hear from guys with the same trans/t-case, but maybe I'm overthinking that part as far as fitment.

does anyone run or know of a long tube that clears the front drive shaft by at least an inch? maybe using a header with a weld on type collector, braided isolator flex section, then out to my exhaust pipes would give the clearance needed? not sure if all long tubes would be like this, but mine were angled downhill very slightly at the collector, which was annoying but could be corrected by the isolator flexy piece.

pictures of your setup would be great

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I’ll grab some pics for you later but I have long tubes that clear my driveshaft on my lifted truck... they do however put my exhaust in the way of my shift linkage for the trans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Did you see the episode where they smashed the ever loving hell out of some headers and it made a fart int he winds difference in power?

I wouldn't over think it. If you can fit longtubes easily and clear everything, run them. Personally, I've had good clearance with the Doug Thorley headers on two of these trucks, clearing everything without issue.

Or, run the shorties and still have plenty of power and never know the difference.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Did you see the episode where they smashed the ever loving hell out of some headers and it made a fart int he winds difference in power?

I wouldn't over think it. If you can fit longtubes easily and clear everything, run them. Personally, I've had good clearance with the Doug Thorley headers on two of these trucks, clearing everything without issue.

Or, run the shorties and still have plenty of power and never know the difference.
I did see that episode and loved it. the difference around 2500rpm between the long tube and mids was over 20hp/tq. that's something there...

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Have read you can use headers from late 60s chevelle or camaro, havent tried it yet though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
You must be registered for see images attach

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Have read you can use headers from late 60s chevelle or camaro, havent tried it yet though.

Camaro ones tuck higher, I've never tried them on a 4x4 though.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
you're saying that yours are car headers? what brand header?
Hedman mine is a big block. Yes these are the exact headers that were in my Chevelle. They fit the truck better. Lol note that if you have factory shift linkage there is some kind of issue. I have a floor mounted shifter. I say this because I suggested these to a guy on here, not thinking of the linkage and he had issues. I felt like a complete ass. These jet coated headers aren’t exactly cheap.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Hedman mine is a big block. Yes these are the exact headers that were in my Chevelle. They fit the truck better. Lol note that if you have factory shift linkage there is some kind of issue. I have a floor mounted shifter. I say this because I suggested these to a guy on here, not thinking of the linkage and he had issues. I felt like a complete ass. These jet coated headers aren’t exactly cheap.

linkage clearance wasn't an issue with my previous long tubes on my column shifted t400. just to clarify, the clearance issue arises from running the passenger car headers?

Jrgunn5150

Questionable methods
Reaction score
First Name
J.R.
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
6.slow
Looks like the rear tube is occupying the same space the rod from the bellcrank would want to be.

wait, you have a big block?

That is indeed a big block. I have used Camaro headers on a small block, 2wd though.

Frankenchevy

Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Looks like the rear tube is occupying the same space the rod from the bellcrank would want to be.

That is indeed a big block. I have used Camaro headers on a small block, 2wd though.
lol, I was kidding. every other post in the history of ever made by hkj is.... BIG BLOCK!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamberttt