cold natured 350 tbi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaxdad

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 4x4 on 35s
Engine Size
I've got a single white wire coming off the distributor thats not plugged in and cant find the otber end.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I've got a single white wire coming off the distributor thats not plugged in and cant find the otber end.

You mean it comes off the coil, right next to the distributor? That's the lead for a tach signal.

jaxdad

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
suburban 4x4 on 35s
Engine Size
yes, off the coil. thanks. I unplugged the temp sensor and it wouldn't start, going to pick one up tomorrow. thanks guys for all the help.

Aeshna

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-20
Engine Size
Anybody have more ideas on this subject? I just bought an 86 C-20 with a 350 in it and it's doing the same thing, except it takes at least 10 mins to run decent and 15 to run good. This is a little problematic because my commute is only 2 miles. And it gets terrible mileage. About 7 mpg for the first tank I've run through it. Thanks for any advice!

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
The '86 wouldn't have throttle body injection unless someone swapped it in. A trip that short, there's no way to heat the engine unless you let it run for a while. 7mpg seems a touch low, but if it's always cold, it will run rich as long as the choke circuit is working. When was the last time it had a tune up?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
The '86 wouldn't have throttle body injection unless someone swapped it in. A trip that short, there's no way to heat the engine unless you let it run for a while. 7mpg seems a touch low, but if it's always cold, it will run rich as long as the choke circuit is working. When was the last time it had a tune up?

86 got TBI for Cali. models only. If yours is carbed check the choke, is the engine getting up to temp?

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Must have been an option??, both my 86's had Q-Jets on them.

thought I read it was only option for v8s as you know Cali. always gets the emissions before anyone else.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
thought I read it was only option for v8s as you know Cali. always gets the emissions before anyone else.
Yep, they always do, lol, could have been just V8's I don't remember now..

Aeshna

Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C-20
Engine Size
Guess I'm on the wrong page. Sorry about that! I didn't realize tbi meant throttle body. It looks like a carburetor to me, but I'm not sure I'd know the difference. The PO said it got a full tuneup 1000 miles ago. He said it's always had a problem being cold blooded
86 got TBI for Cali. models only. If yours is carbed check the choke, is the engine getting up to temp?
Not sure of temp because it has an idiot light instead of a gauge

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Guess I'm on the wrong page. Sorry about that! I didn't realize tbi meant throttle body. It looks like a carburetor to me, but I'm not sure I'd know the difference. The PO said it got a full tuneup 1000 miles ago. He said it's always had a problem being cold blooded

Not sure of temp because it has an idiot light instead of a gauge

first step is to determine if the engine is getting up to temp at all, if the engine is cold the choke may not be opening or the TBI is never going into closed loop mode either way bad MPG.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joseph916