coilover or bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hd16

Reaction score
First Name
peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra granda
Engine Size
n/a yet
which way would you go with coilovers or bags an shocks with 4-link parallel, an y. thanks

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
which way would you go with coilovers or bags an shocks with 4-link parallel, an y. thanks
What’s the purpose of the truck? Looks or function?

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Bags for comfort and heightt adjustability. ... coil overs for road coursing...or go with a RideTech adjustable for the ultimate adjustability and performance if you can handle the cost.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Bags for comfort and heightt adjustability. ... coil overs for road coursing...or go with a RideTech adjustable for the ultimate adjustability and performance if you can handle the cost.
Kinda what I was getting at...

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Of course, with the right engineering, airbags can be used for road coursing as well...it just depends on the right setup.

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Not commonly...yet. there are great setups on the horizon. Sema is full of them. Unfortunately at this point its more of how much can you afford to do. Ride Tech has an adjustable height air ride shock. Its pricey though. It give you the best of both worlds.

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
For wow factor bags, for longevity and piece of mind coil overs.

Last edited:

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
For wow factor bags, for longevity and piece of mind coil overs.
I was at a party and someone I don’t like showed up in a bagged MK6 Jetta. One of the guys told him bags are for mini trucks. I chimed in, because I’m me, with and **********........he left. He was 2 feet away from me when I said it.:D @smoothandlow84 bags are ok on full-size trucks too. You did an awsome job on yours I just didn’t like that guy so settle down. Lol

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I was at a party and someone I don’t like showed up in a bagged MK6 Jetta. One of the guys told him bags are for mini trucks. I chimed in, because I’m me, with and **********........he left. He was 2 feet away from me when I said it.:D @smoothandlow84 bags are ok on full-size trucks too. You did an awsome job on yours I just didn’t like that guy so settle down. Lol

Only problem i have with bags is the reliability, GM and Ferd both have put them on factory cars and always had problems, curious to see how long the last on the new cars that have them with 100k warranty.

Honky Kong jr

Super Sarcastic Man
Reaction score
First Name
J-me
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
Lil BB 407
Only problem i have with bags is the reliability, GM and Ferd both have put them on factory cars and always had problems, curious to see how long the last on the new cars that have them with 100k warranty.
Just long enough to get threw warranty I’m sure.

hd16

Reaction score
First Name
peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra granda
Engine Size
n/a yet
i'm going with No-Limit 4-link parallel bar. with either single adjustable coilovers or bags with shock, i'm leaning towards the coilovers

smoothandlow84

Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 TBI
Bags have come a long way in durability and reliability from years past. Think of the bags on semi trucks...yes they can fail, but after how many thousands if not hundreds of thousands of miles? Now, others out there may try to cut cost and buy whatever is cheapest and you will, get what you paid for. You have to pay to play. I did a lot of reseach, talked to several fabricators and people in the industry before deciding to go the route I did with the bags, compressors, tank and especially the air lines. Btw...the air lines are some of the only certified d.o.t. rated lines available and they are the same used on commercial trucks. The tank too...is the only d.o.t. rated tank and is made of aluminum NOT steel. The compressors are 100 percent duty rated and again are not the Chinese made junk. People that are not familiar with air ride setups are often too quick to bash the idea. Unless you know all of the facts and have actually built, driven and have a current air ride setup...then all you have is an opinion based on speculation instead of facts. The starting air ride setup is gonna set you back about $750 on the cheap....my setup exceeded $3500.. but I wanted reliability and quality components and was willing to dig deeper to get the best avaiable for my truck. Some may say I paid too much, but at the end of the day, it's my money and my truck.

To the p.o....If you do decide on coil overs just make sure to invest in those that are rebuildable. There are several option available on the market. The ride quality will not compare to full bags. You will have to adjust the coil overs to yiur liking and your setup. Air bags versus coilovers are apples to oranges. Imo coilovers are a bit too stiff for my purposes and build.

bluex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
C15
Engine Size

There isn't anything in a factory self leveling air ride setup that is similar to what you install for full air ride setup. That isnt a good comparison...

You guys realize that Ride Tech based their first air systems off how much better they ran on a road course on air than the factory springs/shocks. It was one of the biggest selling points...

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
There isn't anything in a factory self leveling air ride setup that is similar to what you install for full air ride setup. That isnt a good comparison...

You guys realize that Ride Tech based their first air systems off how much better they ran on a road course on air than the factory springs/shocks. It was one of the biggest selling points...

point was if OEMs cant get these systems reliable and trouble free, how can a smaller company. IF they can provide what the OEMs can't why aren't OEMs contracting Air ride to use their parts on the vehicles? Are you willing to risk the $4-10k for a system?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JOD26