Chipping the ECM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xman

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Has anyone put a chip into a 87 R10 5.7 TBI? I seem to remember chips from the past. This is my first pickup and also my first computer controlled vehicle. I figure there should be some kind of performance mods for computers. Can anyone recommend a chip?

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
If you're talking about the plug n' play one-size-fits-all chips like Jet or Hypertech, don't bother. Other than being able to run a little faster because your wallet weighs less, they don't do anything. Custom tunes from shops like Harris Performance, Wait4Me, Westers Garage, and Gearhead efi can burn chips that actually do something, but remember these engines came with only 190 or 210 hp so it's not exactly going to pin you back in your seat.

There are some things you can do yourself before getting into the ecm.

A complete tuneup. It's amazing how well these trucks run with new ignition parts.

Exhaust. The stock system is pretty restrictive. Headers or shortys with 3" pipe all the way back.

Check your diff. Some of these trucks came with some pretty tall gears and a swap to a 3.73 or 4.10 ratio can really wake them up.

Google "ultimate tbi mods". Some diy work on the tbi for those willing to invest some time. I'm not a fan of thinning the throttle shafts but others think it is. Also look into the salad bowl mod for the intake.

Get a fuel gauge. The tbi's like to see 13 psi and there's a lot of fluctuation with the stock fuel pumps, some as low as 9 psi from the factory. An adjustable fpr is well worth the money if you're not seeing 12-13 psi at the throttle body.

If you do all that and you're still not happy, you'll have to consider engine work. The heads, cam, and compression ratio for tbi just don't make big power in stock form.

Xman

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
Thanks John! I'll do the tune up and look into headers. I believe I need headers with a o2 sensor bung.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Yep, and as long as you're in that area of upgrades I suggest switching to a self-heating 3-wire O2 sensor. It's a simple upgrade that gets the ecm into closed loop sooner. The bung location with headers is often far enough away from the exhaust ports that the ecm stays in open loop, failing to efficiently regulate the air/fuel mixture. Even if you have stock exhaust it's a good thing to have.

ACDelco p/n AFS-74 or GM p/n 25312179 (Don't buy the Bosch O2 sensor, lots of issues)

The best deal I've seen for the associated weatherpack connector can be found on ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heated-Oxyg...ash=item3a9cc8a82e:g:~VQAAOSwrklVNwEk&vxp=mtr
The ebay seller is ctmss4284 if the ebay link dies.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I personally don't bother with getting headers that already have an O2 bung, they tend to be more expensive and have air injection fittings too. You can just weld a bung (between 5-10 bucks) into standard headers or buy reducers that have a bung in them already.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx