Ceramic front brake pads, or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I've had the same thoughts, and even looked them up on summitracing last night. $100ea, so that I could run marginal pads. Uhmmm.....no thanks.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
It would be nice if our vendor here for R1 Concepts would weigh in with his professional opinion, I'm sure he could shed some light on the issue.

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
Just got off the phone with the owner of the local NAPA who's a friend of mine......and I buy most all of my parts from his store. He tried a set on his 1/2 ton Ford, with the same results, and not even when towing. He brought the subject up with their brake rep who said that the ceramics are offered for trucks, even trucks that were originally equiped with semi-metallics, because that's what people want, for low dusting reasons........and that initially their engineers didn't know the ceramics would fade/fail under hard, heavy load, towing type braking applications that trucks/suv's generate.

Anyway, he's taking my pads back and issuing a refund. Hopefully he'll also advise his counter people to use caution when selling these to truck/suv owners.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darrel